Class Notes (835,039)
United States (324,020)
History (136)
HIST 010 (23)
Lecture

sections 2 + 3 (Ch. 1: 3000 B.C.E. (Before Common Error))

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
History
Course
HIST 010
Professor
Douglas Page
Semester
Spring

Description
Section 2 I. The Origins and Impact of Agriculture a. The origins of farming and herding i. Neolithic period or New stone age (10,000­3,000 B.C.E.) shift in  tool­making ii. Neolithic or Agricultural Revolution (9,000­8,000 B.C.E.) iii. West Asian beginnings ­ the Fertile Crescent iv. Hospitable climate, settled agriculture settlement, population, and  productivity animal husbandry Agricultural Innovation and Expansion b. i. Neolithic Revolution occurred in other places and disseminated  outward ii. Innovation using native crops developed alongside borrowed crops iii. Farming contributed to population growth via improved, steady  diets b. Foragers, Hunter­Farmers, and Pastoral Nomads i. Persistence of foraging in addition to farming for many groups of  people ii.  astoral nomads­mo ile herders iii. Connections between pastoral nomads and settled farmers  consisted of clashes and trade, often uneasy coexistence b. Agricultural Society: Village, Family, and Land i. Farmers settled into village life ii. Growth of villages and agricultural societies brought about  increasing complexity in the social structure iii. Family structure centered on land ownership, alliances  iv. Gender roles began to emerge, families grew in size v. Development of  patriarchal and matriarchal soc
More Less

Related notes for HIST 010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit