nd Date: / / .
The Imperial Crises, The 2 Continental Congress, & Thomas Paine
I. What were the Americans fighting for in 1775?
C. What were the goals?
1. Representation in parliament
2. Removal of British troops from colonies
3. Restoration of the liberties that were taken away
4. They were NOT thinking of independence at the time
i. Feared separation from England
a. Who would run America?
1. Could not get rid of the king (chaos)
b. Who would protect America?
1. French, Spanish, and natives posed a threat
D. Was not only a war between England and the colonies, but a civil war
1. Loyalists vs. Patriots
2. Guerilla warfare
II. Second Continental Congress
A. Occurred about one month after Lexington and Concord
B. Two main goals
1. Raise & supply an army
2. Negotiate a reconciliation with England
C. Continental Congress had no legal authority
1. Used the committees of correspondence or committees of safety in place
of a government
i. Most of the governors had already left and the colonial legislatures
had been taken away
~ 1 ~ History 20
Date: / / .
2. Took on all the responsibilities of a government
3. Printed paper money called continental script
i. Needed money to support troops
ii. Was worthless unl