Psychology
Course
PSYCH 221
Professor
Nathaniel Ratcliff
Semester
Spring

Description
Pro­Social Behavior Are We Selfish or Unselfish? • Selfishness ○ Humans motivated by gratification of personal needs ○ Rather unconcerned with the needs of others • Random Acts of Kindness (Unselfish) ○ Performing acts for others with no intention of being repaid § Paying tolls for others § Shoveling snow for others anonymously Pro­social VS Altruistic  • Pro­social = Any act that is intended to benefit others • Altruistic = Any pro­social action that is done without benefit to yourself Helping Behaviors • Casual Helping ○ Helping with a homework assignment or schoolwork ○ Giving a ride within the city ○ Giving directions ○ Opening doors • Substantial Helping ○ Sending flowers ○ Long distance ride • Emotional Helping ○ Listening to someone talk through a problem ○ Giving advice • Emergency Helping ○ Starting a car or changing someones tire ○ Taking care of someone who is sick ○ Walking someone home at night Why Do People Help? • Basic Motives ○ Evolutionary § Kin Selection □ We help our closest relatives ○ Norm of reciprocity § I help you, you help me Is Helping Consistent with Evolutionary Theory? • Kin Selection and Inclusive fitness • Reciprocal ○ Trade favors for future needs § Example: network of handouts for bats: give food to those  who don’t have enough and when they don’t have enough, they are repaid. Sociocultural influences on helping • Norm of reciprocity ○ Expectation that helping others increases likelihood that they will  help us when we need it Psychological Mechanisms
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 221

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit