First paper due on October 8 .
Happiness is not:
– More than just “happiology”
– Not just smiling
– More than selfish sensual hedonism
– Is not just a defense against facing reality
Happiness is (includes qualities of life):
– Personal sense of well being
– Relatively high levels of positive affect
– Low levels of negative affect
– An overall judgement of satisfaction (that life is good)
Happiness and satisfaction are part of wellbeing, What is highest happiness for the “good” or fulfilled
life? According to Dr. Carole Ryff, it is purposiveness or to Dr. Martin Seligman it is meaningfulness.
Three Levels of Happiness
Momentary Joy –Adesired state, often an unexpected event
– Aphysiological reaction that is temporary
– Not much cognition involved
Hedonism – a balanced state with greater positives than negatives.
– Cognitively taking into account alternative negatives
– (Narrow, self) pleasure for sensual pleasure sake (eating favorite food, buying something
– (Broad, others)Abasic human motivation force that can also invol