class 18

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Pennsylvania State University
Frederick Brown

Psych 10/19/12 Class 18 Chapter 6 Reaction –Automatic behavior Response – Learned behavior to obtain a specific outcome; Implies a choice Spontaneous Behavioral Reactions Quickly helpful in: – Reducing tension and anxiety – Repairing psychological damage – Restoring psychological equilibrium – Preparing way toward cognitive response strategy measures Four automatic behavioral reaction mechanisms Crying – Effectively relieves initial emotional tension and pain Laughter and Humor – Reduces physical tension Sleeping and Dreams – Restores physical rest and aids thinking Talking (Venting) – Helps relieve psychological tension Crying – Anatural reaction to frustration and hurt – Helps restore inner equilibrium – Important part of bereavement following – Severe personal, relational, or situational loss – Not crying deliberately can put additional strain on loss Humor and Laughter – Helps accept inevitable pain and setbacks – Can also relieve aggressiveness and anger Sleep and dreams – Sleeping difficult when under stress – After traumatic events, often nightmares – Insight into nightmares can: – Desensitize traumatic events – Help understand the experiences – Can use sleep as an escape when nothing seems possible – Excessive sleeping may indicate depression – Inability or unwillingness to confront the problem Talking about problems – Common, almost seems built in – Repetitive talking often helps desensitizing and coping – Self talking good substitute if there is no one to talk with Summary – These are rarely effective alone in relieving all effects of severe stress Reacting unconsciously with cognitive defense mechanisms Five Mechanisms: Denial – “I don't / won't believe it!” – Unwilling to admit unpleasant reality to not face anxiety Repression – “I'm not going to think about it!” – Pushing out of consciousness threatening or painful thoughts by: – Re-interpreting them more favorably – Conveniently forgetting them • Both can be important first coping reactions until they can face and resolve stressor problems Regression – “I can't / don't know how!” – First born child who is jealous that the new child is getting more attention, so they do regress to a previous attention getting behavior to get the parent's attention (peeing their pants) – Using earlier behavior patterns long outgrown – Co-dependency: from too frequent regression – Ex: leaving im
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 243

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.