Psychology
Course
PSYCH 243
Professor
Frederick Brown
Semester
Fall

Description
Psych 12/03/12 Class 29 Occupation a major social status factor – Family: assumes status of person with highest job – Many believe they would feel lost and useless with no job Companies that understand and accept psychological significance of work – Emphasize importance of intrinsic satisfactions for both white collar and blue collar workers 1) Self esteem 2) Relatedness 3) Interesting and meaningful 4) Personal growth and fulfillment Benefits from worker intrinsic satisfactions – Willing to work longer and harder than required Social belongingness – Need of relationships with others: – Originally imported from Japan – May use family like approach in management and worker styles – Deliberate attempts to break down separate “We-They” – Each person is considered important – Trust and friendship main part of this company policy Problems with social belongingness approach – Not easily transplanted to NorthAmerican industries – Job mobility: Greater in NorthAmerica: Less loyalty – Rate of advancement: More rapid expectation here – Level of independence: Greater “do my own thing” style with expected positive advancements Choosing an occupation Developmental stages in the selection of an occupation – Fantasy (Age 11 and under) – Tentative (Age 11-17) – Realistic choice stage (post adolescence) – Preliminary occupational goal Choosing the right occupation – Relatively recent possibility – Wider choices of careers – Matter of personal preference – Can go beyond traditional expectation Personal characteristics – What do I want to do? – What can I do or learn to do? – What pressures do I face? Occupational characteristics – What job skills do I have? – What companies are hiring? Sources of occupational information – Part time, summer, volunteer or intern work – Conversations with people in the field – Career counseling programs – Interest inventories: Match interests and preferences to successful people in their careers Holland's Hexagonal Model – Pure or ideal types – Most people are a mixture, showing combinations of highs, mediums and lows Two important model features – Nearest types more likely fo
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 243

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit