Class 7 – 02:02:12.doc

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Pennsylvania State University
Nicholas Pearson

Class 7 – 02/02/12 Chapter 4 - Social Perception Continued – Heider and Simmel – Heider Movie (shapes moving around a box, but we see it as a mean square chasing the smaller square and circle) – What do you see? – Is there a story? Reasons for the Correspondence Bias – Perpetual salience of actor – Two step process of attribution – assume its something about the observer – correct for the situation – More information about self than observers do Actor observer Differences In attribution – People more apt to see other peoples behavior as dispositionally caused than their own – Therefore, we commit the fundamental attribution error (FAE) more when explaining other peoples behavior than our own Self ServingAttributions – My own success it due to internal dispositional factors – BUT my own failures are due to external situational factors Motivated attributions – Spotlight effect – We're aware of the attributions that people make about us (as if there is a spotlight shining on us) – We often try to compensate for the dispositional attributions that others are likely to make (making a joke or comment about something embarrassing that happened – tripping) Dissonance Research – Why do people agree to tell lies, write counter-attitudinal essays, eat grasshoppers? – Why don't people know why they do these things? – The FAE! Summary of Research on the FAE – In general, westerners tend to make dispositional rather than situational attributions – But, we are better at detecting situational pressures when they happen to us – But, we will manipulat
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 414

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.