class 17 - 03:27:12.doc

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Pennsylvania State University
Nicholas Pearson

Chapter 11 - Prosocial Behavior - Lecture Notes for 3/27/2012 Prosocial Behavior When and Why Do People Help Others? • In 1982, Anne Herbert coined the phrase, "Random Acts of Kindness" • Perform random kind acts for others with no intention of being repaid o Paying tolls for others o Shoveling snow for neighbors, anonymously o Scrubbing graffiti off of park benches Prosocial Acts vs. Altruism • Prosocial behavior - Any act that is intended to benefit others • Altruism - Any prosocial act that is without benefit to the altruist or that is done without self-interest 1. Only SOME prosocial behavior is altruistic 2. Anonymous Types & Frequencies of Helping Behaviors among College Students (McGuire, 1994) • Casual Helping  Implies that you’re not really harming yourself or costing too much; Little effort 1. Ex: Helping w/ homework or schoolwork 2. Ex: Lending a book, notes, etc. • Substantial Personal Helping 1. Ex: Bringing or sending flowers, a card, or a small gift 2. Ex: Visiting someone from out of town 3. Ex: Giving a ride for a long distance • Emotional Helping (can have casual or substantial)  More ambiguous 1. Ex: Listening to someone talk thru a problem 2. Ex: Giving advice about a situation 3. Ex: “Being there” for someone; providing loyalty • Emergency Helping (can have casual or substantial)  Need assistance immediately; specific acts 1. Ex: Starting a car or changing a tire for someone 2. Ex: Taking care of someone who is sick 3. Ex: Walking someone home at night Why Do People Help Others? • Basic Motives • Evolutionary Psychology  as we have evolved, helping behavior has continued survival; more helpful people survived o Kin selection  (We are driven to pass down our genetic material to the next generation)  We help our closest relatives  Ex: Honey bees: kicked out bees that weren’t part of their environment  Offspring are seen as the most important people to help  More likely to help young people o Norm of reciprocity  "I help you, you help me"  “I help you find food, you help me find food, we both survive & pass on our genetic material” o Learning social norms  Genetically programmed to learn social norms (e.g. altruism) • Social Exchange o We do what we do in order to maximize our benefits & minimize our costs • Helping can reward in 3 ways o Increase the probability of reciprocated helping o Relieve personal distress of the witness o Help us to gain social approval & self-worth • If Costs > Rewards we will not help • No assumption of a genetic base to helping (all about costs v. benefits) • Empathy-Altruism Hypothesis o Empathy is understanding another’s experience from their point of view • If we feel empathy for someone, we will help even if we get no reward • If we do not feel empathy then Social Exchange concerns will come into play. o A lot
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 414

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.