Lecture 19

BIOSC 0715 Lecture 19: Lecture 18b

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Pittsburgh
Biological Sciences
BIOSC 0715
Karen Curto

Biology Lecture 16b 12116 Acquired Immunity Third line of defense Lymph nodes filter what is brought to them and scan for antigens Major histocompatibility class II carries antigens on macrophages (MHC II) T cells mature in thymus, B cells mature in bone marrow Helper T cells T cell receptor recognizes antigen to clone helper T cells with same antigen receptor CD4 on T cell recognizes MHC II o Cluster designation 4 Release cytokines to increase level of mitosis o Good example of autocrine signaling Stimulate B cells to make antibodies MHC II Helper T cells (CD4) Cytotoxic T cells Antigens carried by MHC I (if nonself) result in clonal expansion of Cytotoxic T cells Attach to and destroy cells infected with virus or pathogen or nonself cells MHC I cytotoxic T cells (CD8) Cellmediated response B cells T helper cells bind to antigens on B cells and stimulates clonal reproduction of B cells Produce antibodies o Proteins 4 chains of polypeptides joined by disulfide bonds Heavy chains = longer o Diversity segments Light chains = shorter o Joining segments Both contain constant and variable regions Constant regions immunoglobulins o IgG, IgA, IgM, IgE, IgD Variable Match an antigen or epitope o Allows for antigen specificity o Can be some wiggle room o Humoral response On subsequent exposure to the pathogen, the secondary response is faster larger Complement occurs in both innate and acquired
More Less

Related notes for BIOSC 0715

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.