BIOSC 0100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Covalent Bond, Ice Cream Cone, Hydrogen Bond

44 views6 pages

Document Summary

In addition to small molecules, complex carbon-containing substances exist and are required for life (pattern) Earl(cid:455) i(cid:374) earth"s history, simple chemical compounds combined to form more complex carbon containing substances before the evolution of life (process) The scientific explanation for the origin of life is called chemical evolution: The theory maintains that inputs of energy led to the formation of increasingly complex substances, culminating in a compound that could replicate itself switch from chemical evolution to biological evolution. Four types of atoms that make up 96% of all matter found in organisms: hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. Earl(cid:455) i(cid:374) earth"s histor(cid:455), these ele(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts o(cid:374)l(cid:455) e(cid:454)isted i(cid:374) simple substances (water and carbon dioxide) To understand how a molecule affects your body or the role it played in chemical evolution you must understand its structure. Atomic number is the number of protons (in order on the periodic table) Most of a(cid:374) ato(cid:373)"s (cid:448)olu(cid:373)e is e(cid:373)pt(cid:455) spa(cid:272)e.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers