History
Course
HIST 1191
Professor
Janelle Greenberg
Semester
Fall

Description
HIST 1191 notes – Lecture 10 (11/13/13) – page 1 • Divine right of kingship theory ­ does not include the caveat that rebellion is  justified if a king destroys the kingdom o Answer: pray for deliverance because you probably deserve a bad king if  god gave you a bad king • King is both above and below the law o Above: absolute royal prerogatives, can act outside the law when  circumstances demand it ­ in short, politic body o Below: personal body • James VI (Scotland) and I (England) son of Mary Queen of Scots o JI's problem: Scotland is a civil (Roman) law country and he talks about  that too much to be accepted by English subjects  Roman law has a habit of favoring royal absolutism  Plans to blend Roman law with English common law o Second problem:  • The Trew Law of Free Monarchies (1598) written by James VI/I when he was king  of Scotland, not England o On social contract   Rejects the theory completely  Does not agree that coronation charters are a contract between king  and people insofar as the people having the right to depose a king  if he is a 
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1191

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit