PSY 0160 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Oedipus Complex, Behaviorism, Psychodynamics

32 views5 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Observation that is scientific: get systematic descriptions of universal tendencies and differences. Study large and diverse groups of people: so can generalize. Ensure that observations of people are objective: no cultural bias or stereotype, and record so is replicable. Theorists let their own experiences affect the lense through which they see other people. Ex: freud"s oedipal complex, stemmed from his relationship with his own mother. Use specialized tools to study thinking processes, emotional reactions, and biological systems that contribute to personality functioning. Theory that is systematic: once collect enough data, develop theory to explain what they observed. Researchers have burden of clarifying every thought, articulating correctly, and relaying it to others in a way that is understandable. Can"t use colloquial language of oh i"m depressed because my boyfriend dumped me . Theory that is testable: if make a claim, must prove it to the science community.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers