• Show baby a new object
• Take it away, then show it again
• When this is repeated, the baby looks at the stimulus less and less
• Shows that baby has a working memory
• You can make a longer delay to see how long the baby can remember
• Baby has a good visual memory at 2-3 months
• A newborn can remember his/her mom in other ways more primitive
• Weary of strangers at 4 months
• How good is their memory?
o At 6 months, babies can remember faces for 2 weeks after habituation
• Memory and IQ
o Infant memory is correlated +.5 to IQ (25%)
o Some babies may just be naturally curious and the test doesn’t work as well for
o Tests only short-term memory
Learning about the World
• Do babies form categories prior to learning language?