WWS 350 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: West Antarctic Ice Sheet, Tonne, Kyoto Protocol

50 views3 pages

Document Summary

Cement as a contributor to climate change. Cement: made from limestone and other minerals (aluminum, calcium, iron, silicon) and water. Cement production makes up 8% of global co2 emissions. Heat limestone >> 1000 c to produce calcium-oxide. This requires lots of energy greenhouse gas emissions. Producing 1 metric ton of cement releases approximately 1 metric ton of co2 to the atmosphere. Risk = (probability of a hazard arising) x (consequences once the hazard occurs) Low probability of a catastrophic event may have the same risk as a high probability of a not-so-catastrophic event. I will be on a plane tomorrow. I will take the trip because i think the probability of something going wrong is very low. There can be uncertainty in our estimates of both variables. Low risk, low uncertainty (if the probability of the event is high, make minor preparations) High risk, low uncertainty (major preparation, but not everyone prepares!)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers