BIO 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 21: Luteinizing Hormone, Prophase, Anterior Pituitary

47 views8 pages

Document Summary

How do animals reproduce: sexual reproduction , gonads (sex organs) produce 1n sperm or 1n egg via meiosis a. i. Sperm and egg fuse to produce 2n fertilized egg a. ii. Containing food reserves to provide nourishment for the embryo. Offspring in early stages of development before birth or hatching: male gonad: testes f. i. Almost no cytoplasm, so no food reserves: fertilization: union of sperm and egg to form diploid zygote g. i. External fertilization: sperm and egg unite outside of parents bodies g. i. 1. Spawning: sperm and egg are typically released into water and the sperm swim to reach the eggs g. i. 1. a. g. i. 1. b. Temporally: male and female spawn at the same time g. i. 1. b. ii. Spatially: male and female spawn in the same place g. i. 1. c. Synchronization can be achieved via any combination: g. i. 1. c. i. Seasons may restrict breeding because of the change in day length g. i. 1. c. i. 2. More precise synchrony is required to coordinate g. i. 1. c. ii. Chemical signals release of sperm and egg g. i. 1. c. ii. 1.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers