EN 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Dependent Clause, Adjective Phrase, Apposition

47 views3 pages

Document Summary

The introductory adverb: the introductory adverb introduces a sentence, usually modifying the main verb or the entire idea. When the adverb starts a sentence, it is followed by a comma. Amazingly, the baby slept past 6:00 am: interestingly,_____________________________________________________________________________________, surprisingly,____________________________________________________________________________________. Practice: the conjunctive adverb: the conjunctive adverb relates the idea expressed in one sentence with that expressed in a previous sentence. Often, writers underscore the close relationship between the two sentences by using a semicolon instead of a period. Remember not to capitalize the conjunctive adverb if it follows a semicolon. The conjunctive adverb may be moved to any ear-friendly location in the second sentence. I worked too hard today to stay out late tonight; furthermore, i have to get up before dawn. The cook was well schooled in french cuisine. However, i couldn"t remember the answer to question two. I couldn"t, however, remember the answer to question two. I think that i did well on question one.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers