MK 370 Lecture 5: Research Design

6 Pages

Department
Marketing
Course Code
MK 370
Professor
Chowdhury

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Anisha Manglani
MK 370*03
Chapter 5 (CN): Research Design
September 4, 2014
Research Design (master plan that specifies the methods and procedures for collecting and analyzing the
information needed for addressing the marketing research problem).
Types of Research Design
Exploratory: to confirm research hypotheses, to gain background information, to define terms, to
clarify problems and hypotheses, to establish research priorities.
oMost commonly unstructured, informal research.
No formal set of objectives, sample plan, or questionnaire.
Conducted when the researcher does not know much about the problems.
Conducted at the outset of research problems.
oSecondary Data Analysis, Experience Surveys, Case Analysis, Focus Groups, Projective
Descriptive: to describe and measure marketing phenomena at a point in time.
oTo describe answers to questions of who, what, where, when, and how.
oUsed when we wish to project a study’s findings to a larger population through the use of
representative samples.
oTwo basic classifications:
Cross-Sectional Studies: multiple samples are asked the same set of questions for
one point in time.
Snapshots of the population at a point in time.
Longitudinal Studies: one sample is asked the same set of questions over time.
Longitudinal Study:
oWendy’s has gone from 100 (20%) to 75 (15%) customers.
find more resources at oneclass.com
oMcDonald’s remained at 200 customers (40%).
oTaco Bell increased from 200 (40%) to 225 (45%) customers.
o*Wendy’s is losing market share to Taco Bell. McDonald’s has not lost or gained share from
Wendy’s and Taco Bell.
oWendy’s lost 50 customers to McDonald’s BUT gained 25 customers from McDonald’s at the
same time.
oMcDonald’s lost 25 customers to Wendy’s and 25 customers to Taco Bell BUT gained customers
from Wendy’s.
oTaco Bell did not lose any customers BUT gained 25 customers from McDonald’s.
o*For Wendy’s: McDonald’s is the competition. McDonald’s lost and gained share from others.
Taco Bell has the most stable market share.
Causal: to determine cause-effect relationship.
oConducted through the use of experiments (manipulating an independent variable to see
how it affects an independent variable to see how it affects a dependent variable, while
controlling the effects of extraneous variables.
Group 1 Group 2
Did not see a Pepsi advertisement.
“Do you like Pepsi?”
*Lower rates of approval.
Saw a Pepsi advertisement.
“Do you like Pepsi?”
*Higher rates of approval for Pepsi. The ad worked
IV: viewing of the advertisement.
DV: if they liked or didn’t like Pepsi.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Anisha Manglani MK 370*03 Chapter 5 (CN): Research Design September 4, 2014 Research Design (master plan that specifies the methods and procedures for collecting and analyzing the information needed for addressing the marketing research problem). Types of Research Design • Exploratory: to confirm research hypotheses, to gain background information, to define terms, to clarify problems and hypotheses, to establish research priorities. o Most commonly unstructured, informal research. ▪ No formal set of objectives, sample plan, or questionnaire. ▪ Conducted when the researcher does not know much about the problems. ▪ Conducted at the outset of research problems. o Secondary Data Analysis, Experience Surveys, Case Analysis, Focus Groups, Projective • Descriptive: to describe and measure marketing phenomena at a point in time. o To describe answers to questions of who, what, where, when, and how. o Used when we wish to project a study’s findings to a larger population through the use of representative samples. o Two basic classifications: ▪ Cross-Sectional Studies: multiple samples are asked the same set of questions for one point in time. • Snapshots of the population at a point in time. ▪ Longitudinal Studies: one sample is asked the same set of questions over time. • Longitudinal Study: o Wendy’s has gone from 100 (20%) to 75 (15%) customers. o McDonald’s remained at 200 customers (40%). o Taco Bell increased from 200 (40%) to 225 (45%) customers. o *Wendy’s is losing market share to Taco Bell. McDonald’s has not lost or gained share from Wendy’s and Taco Bell. o Wendy’s lost 50 customers to McDonald’s BUT gained 25 customers from McDonald’s at the same time. o McDonald’s lost 25 customers to Wendy’s and 25 customers to Taco Bell BUT gained customers from Wendy’s. o Taco Bell did not lose any customers BUT gained 25 customers from McDonald’s. o *For Wendy’s: McDonald’s is the competition. McDonald’s lost and gained share from others. Taco Bell has the most stable market share. • Causal: to determine cause-effect relationship. o Conducted through the use of experiments (manipulating an independent variable to see how it affects an independent variable to see how it affects a dependent variable, while controlling the effects of extraneous variables. Group 1 Group 2 Did not see a Pepsi advertisement. Saw a Pepsi advertisement. “Do you like Pepsi?” “Do you like Pepsi?” *Lower rates of approval. *Higher rates of approval for Pepsi. The ad worked • IV: viewing of the advertisement. • DV: if they liked or didn’t like Pepsi. • Independent Variable: cause. o Researcher has control over this variable; can manipulate. o Called a “treatment.” • Dependent Variable: effect. o Influenced by the IV. • Extraneous Variables: aka external or controlled variables; have some influence or effect on a DV, yet they are not the IV. o Must be controlled through proper experimental design. ▪ Randomization: random assignment of test units to experimental and control groups so as to minimize the influence of extraneous variables. ▪ Matching: compare test units on a set of key extraneous variables before assigning them to the treatment conditions. o Control Group: group without treatment. Group 1 Group 2 Group 3 Takes the MK201 class and the Takes the MK370 class and the Doesn’t take a class. Takes the MK370 exam. MK370 exam. MK 370 exam. • IV: the level of class. • DV: the performance on the exam. • Control: group 3. • Criteria for Causality: o Temporal Precedence: evidence that the cause precedes the effect. ▪ Treatment comes first. Then you measure the effect. o Covariation of the Cause and Effect: must be change in cause and effect. ▪ Treatment should be relevant to IV, so that it’s reasonable the cause infleunces the effect. o No plausible extraneous variables. • EX: Design an experiment. Store X wants to find out if its new merchandise display system would increase sales. Group 1 Group 2 Store with new display. Store with old display. o IV: presence of the display. o DV: increase or decrease in sales. o Control: group 2. • The choice of the most appropriate design depends on the objectives of the research and how much is known about the problem and research objectives. Our research is more predictive in nature. Symbols of Experimental Design • O: measurement of a DV. o DV: O 1 O 2 etc. • X: manipulation/change of an IV. o X will never have a subset. • Number of lines = number of groups. o XO 1 O2= two groups. • XO 1 treatment • O 2 control • EX: XO 1 o 1 experimental group: treatment. o You give the treatme
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit