01:119:115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Homeostasis, Covalent Bond, Exergonic Reaction

91 views7 pages

Document Summary

Metabolism- sum of all chemical reactions and e transformation in an organism. Metabolic pathway- begins with specific molecule, ends with product. Energy (e): the capacity to do work (or supply heat) Potential energy- stored e, the capacity to do work. 1st law of thermodynamics- e cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another conservation of e. 2nd law of thermodynamics- every e transfer or transformation increase entropy in the universe. Entropy (s)- measure of disorder randomness. (usually heat) (1) (2) Free energy (g)- e available to do work. The stud that we can keep and sue in. biological systems. I(cid:374) (cid:272)ells pote(cid:374)tial e stores i(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:448)ale(cid:374)t (cid:271)o(cid:374)ds, you are i(cid:374)(cid:272)reasi(cid:374)g free. Kinetic energy release when bonds are broken, have a negative free energy (less energy stored in products). Summary: sunlight- source of e for biological systems. Has 3 phosphate groups and this is where most energy is stored.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers