Class Notes (998,969)
US (389,703)
Rutgers (11,300)
2:59 (1,986)
01:119:115 (994)
All (30)
Lecture 19

01:119:115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 19: Methicillin, Broccoli, Koelreuteria Paniculata

8 Pages
Fall 2013

Department
Biological Science
Course Code
01:119:115
Professor
All
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 8 pages of the document.
11/5/13
LECTURE 19
Concept 1.2: The Core Theme: Evolution accounts for the unity and diversity of life
Taxonomy is the branch of biology that names and classifies species into groups of
increasing breadth
- Domains, followed by kingdoms are the broadest units of classification
- Species are the smallest
- Approximately 1.8 million species have been identified and named to date, and
thousands more are identified each year
The Three Domains of Life
Fig 1:13
Domain Bacteria, Domain Archaea comprise of the prokaryotes
- Prokaryotes are single-celled and microscopic
- Filamentous forms include cyanobacteria
Domain Eukarya
- Plants, which produce their own food by photosynthesis
- Fungi, which absorb nutrients
- Animals, which ingest their food
11/5/13
Unity in the Diversity of Life
Fig 1:14
A striking unity underlies the diversity of life
- DNA is the universal genetic language common to all organisms
- Unity (similarity) is evident in many features of cell structure
Charles Darwin and the Theory of Natural Selection
Charles Darwin published On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection in 1859
Darwin made two main points
- Species showed evidence of “descent with modification” from common ancestors
- Via natural selection
Darwin’s Descent with Modification
- Traits in individuals in population vary, many are inheritable
- More offspring are produced than survive, competition is inevitable
- Species generally suit (adapt to) their environment
o Fig 1:18 Lightest colored beetles less likely to survive predation since easily
seen; darker grey beetles survive and thrive
Natural selection results in the adaptation of organisms to their environment
For example, bat wings are an example of adaptation:
- Unity same bones, joints, nerves etc. as human arm, foreleg of horse and flipper of
whale
- Diversity mammalian forelimbs results from modification by natural selection
operating over millions of generations
Descent with modification: adaptive radiation of finches on Galapagos Islands
Fig 1:20
11/5/13
Jean Baptiste de Lamarck (1744-1829)
His hypothesis: nature is controlled by 3 biological laws:
1. Environmental influence (physical, chemical, in the womb) on organ development;
innate need to become more complex naturally
2. Use and disuse of parts: Parts of body used extensively get larger and stronger,
while other deteriorate e.g. stretching of the giraffe’s neck (intermediate giraffes?)
3. Inheritance of those modifications to next generation
Experiments showed that traits acquired by use/disuse during an individuals’ life were not
inherited.
Concept 22.2- Charles Darwin: Origin of the Species by Natural Selection (1859)
Compared organism adaptation on arid Galapagos Islands with those on humid South
American mainland –new species ”arose” from ancestral forms by gradual accumulation of
adaptations to a different environment
Beak Variation in Galapagos Finches
According to Darwin, adaptations were essential to the understanding of evolution
- Finch adaptations centered on natural selection where individuals with certain
inherited traits survived and reproduced successfully in particular environments
because of those traits
Descent with Modification by Natural Selection
Darwin never used the word evolution in the first edition of The Origin of Species

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
11/5/13 LECTURE 19 Concept 1.2: The Core Theme: Evolution accounts for the unity and diversity of life Taxonomy is the branch of biology that names and classifies species into groups of increasing breadth - Domains, followed by kingdoms are the broadest units of classification - Species are the smallest - Approximately 1.8 million species have been identified and named to date, and thousands more are identified each year The Three Domains of Life Fig 1:13 Domain Bacteria, Domain Archaea comprise of the prokaryotes - Prokaryotes are single-celled and microscopic - Filamentous forms include cyanobacteria Domain Eukarya - Plants, which produce their own food by photosynthesis - Fungi, which absorb nutrients - Animals, which ingest their food 11/5/13 Unity in the Diversity of Life Fig 1:14 A striking unity underlies the diversity of life - DNA is the universal genetic language common to all organisms - Unity (similarity) is evident in many features of cell structure Charles Darwin and the Theory of Natural Selection Charles Darwin published On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection in 1859 Darwin made two main points - Species showed evidence of descent with modification from common ancestors - Via natural selection Darwins Descent with Modification - Traits in individuals in population vary, many are inheritable - More offspring are produced than survive, competition is inevitable - Species generally suit (adapt to) their environment o Fig 1:18 Lightest colored beetles less likely to survive predation since easily seen; darker grey beetles survive and thrive Natural selection results in the adaptation of organisms to their environment For example, bat wings are an example of adaptation: - Unity same bones, joints, nerves etc. as human arm, foreleg of horse and flipper of whale - Diversity mammalian forelimbs results from modification by natural selection operating over millions of generations Descent with modification: adaptive radiation of finches on Galapagos Islands Fig 1:2011/5/13 Jean Baptiste de Lamarck (1744-1829) His hypothesis: nature is controlled by 3 biological laws: 1. Environmental influence (physical, chemical, in the womb) on organ development; innate need to become more complex naturally 2. Use and disuse of parts: Parts of body used extensively get larger and stronger, while other deteriorate e.g. stretching of the giraffes neck (intermediate giraffes?) 3. Inheritance of those modifications to next generation Experiments showed that traits acquired by use/disuse during an individuals life were not inherited. Concept 22.2- Charles Darwin: Origin of the Species by Natural S
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit