01:119:115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Unified Atomic Mass Unit, Inductive Reasoning, Electron Shell

99 views2 pages

Document Summary

Variables are tools by which to conduct an experiment. 2 main types of reasoning- inductive and deductive. I. (1. 3) observations and hypotheses a. b. c. Inquiry - a search for information and explanations of natural phenomena. Data - recorded observations on which scientific inquiry is based i. ii. Qualitative - often in the form of recorded descriptions, not numerical measurements. Quantitative - generally expressed as numerical measurements, organized into tables and graphs d. Hypothesis - a tentative answer to a well-framed question; an explanation on trial i. ii. Experiment - a scientific test carried out under controlled conditions i. ii. Involves manipulation of one factor in a system to see the effects of changing it. Controlled experiment - is designed to compare an experimental group with a control group f. Variables - factors that vary in an experiment i. ii. Dependent - is measured in the experiment g. Uses logic to flow in the opposite direction from inductive reasoning.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers