01:119:116 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Activin And Inhibin, Anterior Pituitary, Labia Majora

69 views12 pages

Document Summary

Asexual and sexual reproduction: sexual reproduction, the creation of an offspring, fusion of a male gamete (sperm) and female gamete (egg) to form a zygote i. ii. Invertebrate reproduce asexually by fission, separation or a parent into two or more individuals of about the same size (exactly similar to the parent: mechanisms of asexual reproduction, budding i. New individuals arise from outgrowths of existing ones: fragmentation i. ii. Breaking of the body into pieces some or all of which develop into adults. Must be accompanied by regeneration: regrowth of lost body parts: parthenogenesis i. A haploid or diploid egg cell develops into an embryo without fertilization (1) Increase variation in offspring (increases reproductive success of parents in changing environments) ii. iii. Individuals of some species undergo sex reversals: male to female reversal vs. female to male reversal. Fertilization depends on binding mechanisms: mechanisms of fertilization, union of egg and sperm play an important part in sexual reproduction.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers