04:189:101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Kaiser Permanente, Proxemics

31 views3 pages
Lin-Bong Li 149008850
Professor Bolden
Communication 101
29 April 2015
Making Connections with “the real world”
Option 1
Over spring recess I was able to pay a visit to my second brother, Cheung, who lives out
in San Francisco, California. During my time off from classes, I was able to attend work with my
brother at his office located in the Kaiser Permanente Headquarters. Upon arriving at the office
building, I was immediately aware of the atmosphere as well as Cheung’s highly esteemed
position. The doormen and the valet greeted my brother and I as “sir” or “gentlemen” and I
personally cannot remember a single instance where another person seriously and sincerely
addressed me as “sir.” As we made our way towards the hallway of elevators, each individual or
group of individuals that we came across addressed my brother in a different manner. I could
imagine almost instantly from the form of each greeting their respective relationships with
Cheung. Greetings ranged from subtle and nervous to warm and enthusiastic. The nervous
greetings were accompanied with one hand up in the air from a reasonable distance away and a
verbal message such as “Good afternoon Mr. Li.” Then they would turn their bodies back
towards their work, or whatever happens to be on their computer monitors, as if trying to
demonstrate your high level of focus. Other people, whom I assumed to be his peers or
coworkers after observing their greetings, would approach my brother warmly with a firm
handshake and an occasional pat on the back. These people weren’t nervous when approaching
my brother at all and took the time to express their interests in him by asking follow-up
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
champagneyellowjacket742 and 40 others unlocked
04:189:101 Full Course Notes
04:189:101 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
57 documents

Document Summary

Over spring recess i was able to pay a visit to my second brother, cheung, who lives out in san francisco, california. During my time off from classes, i was able to attend work with my brother at his office located in the kaiser permanente headquarters. Upon arriving at the office building, i was immediately aware of the atmosphere as well as cheung"s highly esteemed position. I could imagine almost instantly from the form of each greeting their respective relationships with. Greetings ranged from subtle and nervous to warm and enthusiastic. Other people, whom i assumed to be his peers or coworkers after observing their greetings, would approach my brother warmly with a firm handshake and an occasional pat on the back. These people weren"t nervous when approaching my brother at all and took the time to express their interests in him by asking follow-up questions.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers