1 – 28 – 13
• Review: Ways of Looking at Communication
o Transmission perspective tin can example; how comm transmits info accurately
from one place to another
o Constitutive perspective laughing bride example; how comm constitutes
activities, identities, relationships, communities
• Today’s Agenda:
o 1. Intro to CQ #1
Why study comm in the first place?
o 2. What is comm anyway?
Not limited to “just talking”
Helps to think of term as larger umbrella term for wide range of social
Across each example, let’s think about:
• What’s comm-related in each?
• How it could be used to form general definition of comm?
• Obama – rhetorical strategies used by speech writer
o Lots of layers that start w/speech writer
o Linguistic constructions for larger speech
• Friends sitting w/Mac laptop
o Two people talking back & forth face-to-face
• Man & significant other in argument
o Relational/intimate comm
• Organization & stakeholders chart o Need positive relationship between two
o Interorganizational comm
• Parent having argument w/teenager over text
o Family dynamics, technology (time & space)
• PSA related to anti-bullying efforts
o Mass comm
• Child watching TV after school
o Getting messages through watching TV & messa