1. What are the 4 bodily humors according to Aristotle &
o Blood Sanguine
o Black Bile Melancholy
o Yellow Bile Choler
o Phlegm Apathy
2. What is mind/body Cartesian Dualism?
o The mind and body are separate
3. What is Claude Bernard’s idea of Mileur Interne?
o All living things must maintain a balanced internal
i. Idea of homeostasis
4. What is Allostasis?
o Maintaining homeostasis through physiological changes
i. Ex. Dehydration Kidneys reduce urine output
5. What is Allostatic load (Stellar, 1993)
o Wear and tear on the body when an individual is
exposed to chronic stress
i. Ex. – Stress & immunosuppression along with
6. Relationship between psychoanalysis & health
o Freud Cured Paralysis using hypnosis
o Alexander Diseases caused by unconscious emotional
7. Cannon’s fight or flight response system
o Response to stress causes physiological changes in the
i. Sympathetic nervous system
8. Autonomic Nervous System gets affected by stress
o Stress causes series of responses ready for flight
i. Tight muscle, etc.
9. How stress effects the Endocrine sys