01:830:338 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Collectivism, Impression Management, Acculturation

37 views4 pages

Document Summary

Defining culture: a program of shared rules, attitudes, values, and beliefs that govern the behavior of the majority of community members. Communicated from one generation to the next. Individualism the individual is more important than the group (markus & kitayama, People are viewed as separate from each other: collectivism the group is more important than the individual. Concern for others harmony in conflicts care for traditions and values emotional restraint. Individualism concern for self competitive strategies emotional expression. If a co-worker gets a prize, i would feel happy. I would do what would please my family, even if i detested that activity: people have two fundamental cultural tasks: Interdependence how we are affiliated with and engaged in a larger group. Independence how we differentiate ourselves from that group. Individualistic cultures independent construal of the self (markus & kitayama) Self as autonomous, not influenced by others: collectivistic cultures interdependent construal of the self.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers