CFD 135 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Domestic Violence, Silent Treatment, Marital Power

45 views7 pages
CFD CHAPTER 12: POWER AND VIOLENCE IN FAMILIES
DB VIDEO: Wh doesti iolee itis do’t leae
Crazy love= a psychological trap disguised as love
A typical domestic violence survivor has many faces:
All races, all education and income levels
This woman has remarried and has three kids, a successful career and educational success
Shows that there can be life after domestic abuse
-Typical victims know nothing about warning signs or red flags
** Illusion that she was the dominant one in the relationship
Idolized her believed in her, wanted to know everything about her
Magical atmosphere of trust between them
Not a hint of violence or control
1st step SEDUCE AND CHARM VICTIM
2nd step ISOLATE VICTIM
3rd step INTRODUCE THE THREAT OF VIOLENCE AND SHE REACTS
Physical financial and psychological trap
Wh did I sta? ==I did’t ko he as ausig e
Recognize the signs and intervene
POWERPOINT/textbook!!! NOTES
POWER
Poe is the ailit to eeise oe’s ill
--Personal Power or autonomy power exercised over oneself
--Social Power the ability of people to exercise their wills over the wills of others (parental or marital)
Relationship power involves:
--objective measures of power (who makes more, decisions, who does more housework)
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
--and subjective measures of fairness (whether each partner feels their arrangement is fair or equitable)
Equity= hethe the eads of the elatioship feel sujetiel popotioal to eah pate’s
contributions, which may not necessarily be equal
-subjective perceptions of fairness influence relationship satisfaction and commitment
Power bases: French and Raven developed six bases, or sources, of social power
-Coercive Power:
Based o the doiat peso’s ailit ad illigess to puish thei pate ith psychological-
emotional abuse or physical violence, or more subtly by withholding favors or affection.
Examples: slapping a mate and spanking a child. Or refusing to talk to the other person (silent
treatment)
-Reward Power
Based o a idiidual’s ailit to give material or nonmaterial gifts and favors, ranging from emotional
support-for instance, eye contact, a smile, a gentle hand on shoulder, listening- and financial support or
recreational travel
-Expert Power
“tes fo the doiat peso’s supeio judgment, knowledge or ability. Changing now but this
traditionally meant men expertise was financial while women were attributed to special knowledge of
children and expertise in the domestic sphere
-Informational Power
Based on the persuasive content of what the dominant person tells another individual. A partner may be
persuaded to charge less on a credit card when another shares info on the cards high interest rate
-Referent Power
Based on a peso’s emotional identification with the partner. A partner who attends a social function
he he o she ould athe ot eause  loed oe ats to go ad so I ated to go too has
been swayed by this power. This power can enhance couple commitment. Research shows that in happy
relationships, referent power increases as partners grow old together.
-Legitimate Power
“tes fo the doiat idiidual’s ailit to lai authoit, o the ight to euest opliae. This
poe i taditioal aiages ioles aeptae  oth pates of the husad’s ole as head of the
family. Becoming more egalitarian (equal), and couples more often share the same education level.
THE RESOURCE HYPOTHESIS
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Cfd chapter 12: power and violence in families. Db video: wh(cid:455) do(cid:373)esti(cid:272) (cid:448)iole(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:448)i(cid:272)ti(cid:373)s do(cid:374)"t lea(cid:448)e. Crazy love= a psychological trap disguised as love. A typical domestic violence survivor has many faces: This woman has remarried and has three kids, a successful career and educational success. Shows that there can be life after domestic abuse. Typical victims know nothing about warning signs or red flags. ** illusion that she was the dominant one in the relationship. Idolized her believed in her, wanted to know everything about her. 3rd step introduce the threat of violence and she reacts. Po(cid:449)e(cid:396) is the a(cid:271)ilit(cid:455) to e(cid:454)e(cid:396)(cid:272)ise o(cid:374)e"s (cid:449)ill. -personal power or autonomy power exercised over oneself. -social power the ability of people to exercise their wills over the wills of others (parental or marital) -objective measures of power (who makes more, decisions, who does more housework) -and subjective measures of fairness (whether each partner feels their arrangement is fair or equitable)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers