ECON 101 (67)
baker (11)
Lecture 10

ECON 101 Lecture 10: Ch10

4 Pages
Unlock Document

San Diego State University
ECON 101

Chapter 10 Notes Federal budget - Can be split into 2 distinct types of spending: o Discretionary spending o Mandatory spending Discretionary spending - Decided through the appropriations process of Congress - Includes: national defense, transportation, science, environment, income security (some welfare programs like Medicaid), education, and veteran benefits and services Mandatory spending - Authorized by permanent laws - Does not go through the same appropriation process - Congress must vote to change entitlements - Includes: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, and interest on the national debt Discretionary fiscal policy & aggregate demand - Discretionary fiscal policy: o Main goal: increase AD ▪ Move economy to full employment ▪ Encourage economic growth ▪ Control inflation o Adjusts government spending o Adjusts tax policies The multiplier effect - When government spending is injected into the economy, the total level of economic activity will expand by an amount equal to the size of the new expenditure times the multiplier - Because short-run aggregate supply is upward-sloping, some of the increase in output is absorbed by rising prices K = 1/(1 – MPC) = 1/MPS MPC + MPS = 1 Multiplier does not equal multiplier effect - When government spending shifts aggregate demand to the right, the equilibrium level of output will increase along with the price level Taxes GDP = C + I + G + (X – M) GDP = C + I Y = C +I Y – C = I S = I - Adding: government spending, taxes & the foreign sector o I + G + X = S + T + M - When taxes are increased, money is withdrawn from the economy’s spending stream - When taxes are reduced, consumers and business have more to spend - A tax increase (or decrease) will have less of a direct impact on income, employment, and output than will an equivalent change in government spending Expansionary fiscal policy - Expansionary fiscal policy can be used to shift aggregate demand to the right and close a recessionary gap o Employment and prices will increase as aggregate output expands Contractionary fiscal policy - When an economy moves beyond full employment, an inflationary spiral has set in - One way to reduce inflationary pressures is by a contractionary fiscal policy - This can be accomplished through: o Reducing government spending or transfer payments o Raising taxes Checkpoint: - Contractionary fiscal policy involves decreasing govt. spending, decreasing transfer payments, or increasing taxes - Politicians tend to favor expansionary fiscal policy because it brings increases in employment Supply-side fiscal policies - Main goal: LRAS  (shift to the right) - No trade-offs between price levels and outputs - Require more time to see the resul
More Less

Related notes for ECON 101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.