ENS 438 Lecture 32: CTE & Concussions

3 Pages
Unlock Document

San Diego State University
Exercise And Nutritional Sciences
ENS 438

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) & Concussions ❖ Knowledge ➢ What do we know and why? ➢ Accidental diagnosis ➢ Investigative journalism ❖ Conflicts in Study ➢ “I wish I never met Mike Webster. CTE has driven me into the politics of science, the politics of the NFL. You can’t go against the NFL. They will squash you.” - Dr. Bennet Omalu ❖ Linked to Success Ideology ➢ Who wins and what are the costs? ➢ Pathology is sociological ➢ Signs and symptoms extend to many parts of our socioeconomic world ❖ Fandom ➢ Are you not entertained? ➢ CTE in popular culture: Concussion the Movie ❖ Agency vs. Paternalism ➢ Do we need to care for those who cannot care for themselves? ➢ Who decides? ❖ Rooted in Market-Based Sport ➢ Commercial sports exists for fan’s benefits and the product for consumption is also human ➢ Why do we need to consume human contact but not the effects of human suffering? ❖ Lack of Resources ➢ Lack of established guidelines ■ How do you know when someone is concussed? ➢ Challenges in language or “how do we talk about one’s bell rung or cracking one’s skull?” ■ “Mild TBI” ?? ❖ What are Concussions? ➢ A complex physiological process where there is a blow to the head and damage to the brain ■ Can cause physical pain, memory loss, emotional trauma among other symptoms ➢ Usually known as a traumatic brain injury ➢ Effect of the trauma occurs depends on the severity, location, and number of the blow(s) ➢ CTE is based on multiple concussive or concussive-type blows over extended periods ❖ Effects of Concussions ➢ Diffuse axonal injury, microbleeds and glial activation, all of which may be sources of biomarkers ➢ Athletes have a feeling of being confused as a result ➢ Reflective pathologies include chronic traumatic encephalopathy, substance abuse, and depression ➢ Concussion impacts can last from 30 days to 30 years ➢ Repeated impacts (concussions) result in significantly increased effects ➢ Athlete’s report they feel confused at the moment of impact ■ Neurons are impacted… and for a period after that ❖ Where Do Concussions Occur Among Athletes? ➢ Reports state that high school athletes are statistically prone to higher concussion rates than other prep sports ■ Sports include boy’s hockey and football and girl’s soccer ➢ 41.2% of soccer (combined) ➢ 55% of hockey ➢ 26% of basketball ➢ 29.8% of football athletes ❖ Concussion Symptoms ➢ Cognitive ➢ Emotional
More Less

Related notes for ENS 438

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.