Premium

4 Pages

Department
Oceanography
Course Code
OCEAN 320
Professor
K.Robinson

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Unit 5C
Jet Stream (Video)
Warmer air takes up more vertical space than colder air; creates a hill that air want to
move “downhill” towards the cold
oCreates the jet stream
As we warm the polar areas more and more, the hill becomes less steep, causing a
weakened jet stream
oAs high latitudes warm faster than the middle latitudes
oWind speeds moving northerly drop by 10%
oDrop off most dramatically when sea ice melts
Rossby theory: says weaker westerly flows more meanderingly; moves slow and less
precisely
Waves are getting stretched as they have to compensate to maintain temperatures; go
higher north and lower south
Low amplitude wave=fast moving storm
Weather in a Tank
Tank on table that rotates at speed according to what phenomena trying to observe
oWorks to combine both theory and observation to verify understanding of natural
phenomena
Trying to account for weather system and eddy involvement
oUses one tank not rotating and the rotating tank to illustrate the involvement of
eddies and weather
oDisturbing still water with hand and include dye to show how water behaves with
atmospheric interference; dye disperses throughout tank
oDisturb rotating water and include dye; dye does not disperse, simply sinks from
surface and creates “curtains”’ swirls and streak differently (red spot swirl like
Jupiter’s storm!)
Tank with can of ice in middle to represent pole (surrounding water is warmer to
represent equator)
oDye sinks faster near ice, then moves outward and pulls warmer water in toward
the ice
NASA: A Year in the Life of Earth’s CO2
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Unit 5C Jet Stream (Video) Warmer air takes up more vertical space than colder air; creates a hill that air want to move downhill towards the cold o Creates the jet stream As we warm the polar areas more and more, the hill becomes less steep, causing a weakened jet stream o As high latitudes warm faster than the middle latitudes o Wind speeds moving northerly drop by 10% o Drop off most dramatically when sea ice melts Rossby theory: says weaker westerly flows more meanderingly; moves slow and less precisely Waves are getting stretched as they have to compensate to maintain temperatures; go higher north and lower south Low amplitude wave=fast moving storm Weather in a Tank Tank on table that rotates at speed according to what phenomena trying to observe o Works to combine both theory and observation to verify understanding of natural phenomena Trying to account for weather system and eddy involvement o Uses one tank not rotating and the rotating tank to illustrate the involvement of eddies and weather o Disturbing still water with hand and include dye to show how water behaves with atmospheric interference; dye disperses throughout tank o Disturb rotating water and include dye; dye does not disperse, simply sinks from surface and creates curtains swirls and streak differently (red spot swirl like Jupiters storm!) Tank with can of ice in middle to represent pole (surrounding water is warmer to represent equator) o Dye sinks faster near ice, then moves outward and pulls warmer water in toward the ice NASA: A Year in the Life of Earths CO2
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit