Philosophy
Course
PHIL 102
Professor
R.Francescotti
Semester
Fall

Description
Philosophy 102 The MindBody Problem What is the relation between the mind and the body? How does a mind unite with a body to constitute a single individual? Mind: psychological states, emotions, beliefs, morals, personality, memories, imagination, thoughts Body: Functions such as respiration, digestion, etc. Dualism: There are two aspects to our existence The mind and the body are two separate components Believes that the mind is not part of the body After we die, our consciousness lives on Descartes Dualism = Substance Dualism = We are comprised of 2 kinds of stuff Materialism: We are purely physical beings Mental thoughts states are states of the body Each physical event is caused by a previous one (thought = raising hand) Idealism: (Typically not involved in the mindbody debate) Everything is ultimately mental All socalled physical objects are really just collections of ideas Rene Descartes Popular Dualist (mind body separate) 2nd Meditation I am thinking Therefore, I exist I think Therefore, I am The Indubitability Argument 1) My body is dubitable 2) My mind is indubitable 3) Therefore, my mind my body Gottfried Leibniz (16461716)
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 102

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit