WMNST 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Standpoint Feminism, List Of Political Slogans, Standpoint (Magazine)

47 views4 pages
1 Nov 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The personal is political slogan promoted necessity to start form one"s own experience as a legitimate way to theorize and create new knowledge. All knowledge is socially situated and socially constructed. Not about individual experiences, but historically shared, group-based experiences. Women"s standpoint theory is not the same as feminist standpoint theory. Knowledges of subordinate groups that have been ignored, silenced, or deemed less credible by dominate groups: deliberately silenced, form of resistance to dominant knowledges and discussion. I can only speak from my own personal experience or what does this all have to do with me? . Hegemonic history also created through lens of someone"s experience. Each group"s thought is considered equally valid, and anything goes : thus others may think they have no basis on which to question or challenge it, that they have no right to do so. Everyday black women as experts on a black women"s standpoint. Zora neale hurston, billie holiday, bessie smith.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers