EXSC 224 Lecture 6: Lecture 6 - 9/6

5 Pages

Department
Exercise Science
Course Code
EXSC 224
Professor
Thompson

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
● Cerebral Hemisphere ○ Frontal lobe ■ Everything anterior to central sulcus ■ One of the newest parts of the brain ■ Tied into motor functions & memory ■ NO SENSORY INPUT DIRECTLY TO FRONTAL LOBE ○ Parietal lobe ■ PURE SENSORY ■ Tactile senses - pain, temperature, touch ○ Occipital lobe ■ Vision is initially recognized ■ Goes from parieto-occipital sulcus to transverse cerebral fissure ○ Temporal lobe - auditory ● Gyri - ridges ○ Gyri of insula - associated with taste/ gustatory ■ “The 5th lobe” ■ NOT superficial, it is deep inside the brain, you can separate it from the temporal lobe ○ Gyrus is singular, 2+ = gyri ○ Exposed cortex, a region that is separated by a sulcus or fissure ○ When the brain folds, we see a remarkably similar gyri (folds) in each person ● Sulci - shallow grooves ○ Central sulcus ■ Anterior is the precentral gyrus ■ Posterior is the postcentral gyrus ■ Differentiates frontal from parietal ○ Lateral sulcus ● Fissures - deep grooves ○ Longitudinal fissure - separates right and left hemispheres ■ Right - Controls/ receives from left side of body ■ Left - Controls/ receives from right side of body ○ Transverse cerebral fissure - separates cerebellum from cerebrum ● Functional areas of the cerebral cortex - all areas are involved in conscious thought ○ Motor areas - control voluntary movement ○ Sensory areas - conscious awareness of sensation ○ Association areas - integrate diverse information ● Conscious behavior involves the entire cortex ● Primary motor cortex ○ Directly anterior to central sulcus ■ Makes up the precentral gyrus ○ Neurons descend down into spinal cord and synapse onto a neuron to stimulate muscle ○ Upper motor neurons (pre synaptic) - reside solely in the CNS ■ Largest neurons in the body ○ No conscious decision to cause these neurons to spontaneously activate ○ Large pyramidal cells of the precentral gyri ○ Long axon - pyramidal (corticospinal) tracts ○ Allows conscious control of precise, skilled, voluntary movements ○ Motor homunculi - upside-down caricatures representing the motor innervation of body regions ■ Know this map/ understand ■ Where body parts exist ■ “Where are the toes?” ● Medial inferior ■ “Where are the hips?” ● Superior medial ■ Know which ones are lateral, lateral inferior, superior, lateral superior, medial superior, medial inferior ○ Same basic pattern - the body is mapped out ■ Large areas and small areas of cortex associates with parts of the body ● Premotor cortex ○ Anterior to the precentral gyrus/ primary motor cortex ○ Controls learned, repetitious, or patterned motor skills ○ Coordinates simultaneous or sequential actions ○ Involved in the planning of movements that depend on sensory feedback ○ (know the difference between this and primary motor cortex) ○ Where you store motor patterns, this is where you learn to do motor activities ■ Ex: Handwriting, throwing, sports ○ Muscle is a target of the NS - it has no memory ○ Basic motor patterns - coordination learning ● Broca’s Area - devoted to forming words ○ Thinking about a word, saying about a word ○ Anterior to the inferior region of the premotor area ○ It is also a premotor area, but is specific to speech ○ If you think about forming words you will activate this area ○ Present in the one hemisphere (usually the left) ○ A motor speech area that directs muscles of the tongue ○ Is active as one prepares to speak ● Sensory Areas - memory is stored here too ○ Olfactory cortex ○ Gustatory cortex - in insula ■ Taste ○ Visceral sensory area ○ Vestibular cortex ● Primary somatosensory cortex (sensory area) ○ Parietal lobe - surface reception ○ Postcentral gyri ○ Receives sensory information from the skin, skeletal muscles, and joints ○ Capable of spatial discrimination: identification of body region being stimulated ○ Receives information for touch - where it is, Somatosensory Association Cortex is where you make sense of what it is like pressure/temp/feel ○ Sensory map ■ Know this too.. ■ Lots of motor area devoted to hands/fingers, below the forehead in face, GI tract ● Somatosensory association cortex (sensory area) ○ Parietal lobe - surface reception ○ Posterior to the primary somatosensory cortex ○ Processing begins here, before consciousness ○ Integrates sensory input from primary soma
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit