Fall 2016

Department
Exercise Science
Course Code
EXSC 224
Professor
Thompson
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Postsynaptic Potentials
Graded potentials
Strength determined by:
Amount of neurotransmitter released
Time the neurotransmitter is in the area
Types of postsynaptic potentials (graded potentials)
1. EPSP - excitatory postsynaptic potentials
Depolarizing stimulus - membrane potential rises toward 0
2. IPSP - inhibitory postsynaptic potentials
Opposite - hyperpolarization
Reduce in membrane potential
EPSPs - Excitatory
ALWAYS depolarizing, goes toward 0
Kind of signal that leads to action potential if large enough
Neurotransmitter binds to and opens chemically gated channels that allow simultaneous
flow of Na and K+ in opposite directions
Na+ influx is greater than than K+ efflux, causing a net depolarization
EPSP helps trigger AP at axon hillock if EPSP is of threshold strength and opens the
voltage-gated channels
IPSPs - Inhibitory
ALWAYS hyperpolarizing, makes it more negative
Make it more difficult to excite a neuron
Neurotransmitter binds to and opens channels for K+ or Cl-
Causes a hyperpolarization (the inner surface of membrane becomes more negative)
Reduces the postsynaptic neuron’s ability to produce an action potential
ADD and ADHD - associated with inactive regions of the brain
This region of the brain inhibits other regions of the brain, making it difficult to
focus
Stimulant (riddalin) excites this region of the brain
Integration: summation
A - no summation
Nothing happens
If the stimuli are not adequately close together, in time, there is NO SUMMATION
Summation means EFFECT
B - temporal summation
Presynaptic neuron fires twice, close in time
1st signal has depolarization but doesnt quite reach threshold
Since next stimuli happens quick enough, it reaches threshold and causes an
action potential
2 events have an additive effect and cause a summation
2nd stimulus is usually the same as the first
Temporal = time
C - spatial summation
Two different excitatory potential
find more resources at oneclass.com
If both fire approximately at the same time, we will have a summation - a larger
change in MP than if either one fired indepenantly
Two different neurons each firing at the same time
D - spatial summation, 1 EPSP and 1 IPSP
If both fire at the same time, the net result is 0
Additive - requires at least 2 neurons
No summation - can be just 1 neuron
Neurotransmitters and neuromodulators
Look at ppt
Almost all signaling molecules bind to a receptor
Few exceptions can bypass the receptor - dont need to know them
**KNOW THESE**
1. Acetylcholine (Ach)
Most abundant
Nervous system - skeletal muscle
Binds to 2 different kinds of receptors - nicotinic (excitatory) & muscarinic
(excitatory OR inhibitory)
Nicotine & Muscarine
Secreted by presynaptic neuron
Excitatory or inhibitory
Receptor on post synaptic neuron determines if the signal is excitatory or
inhibitory
Don’t worry about ‘sites where secreted’ or ‘comments”
2. Biogenic Amines - Just look at table 11.3…
All are derivatives of the amino acid Tyrosine
Low levels of norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin in the brain are
associated with depression
Dopamine - pleasure the ‘feel good neurotransmitter’
● Orgasm
Serotonin - most associated with depression
Histamine - not as important, don’t look at it
3. Amino acids
Some amino acids serve as neurotransmitters
^^ that’s all you need to know on the exam
Don’t need to know these specifics
4. Peptides
Endorphins block pain
● Opioid
ONLY need to know about endorphins and maybe a little CCK
■ CCK
Released by the gut
Involved in regulating appetite (satiety factor)
5. Purines
■ ATP

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Postsynaptic Potentials ● Graded potentials ● Strength determined by: ○ Amount of neurotransmitter released ○ Time the neurotransmitter is in the area ● Types of postsynaptic potentials (graded potentials) ○ 1. EPSP - excitatory postsynaptic potentials ■ Depolarizing stimulus - membrane potential rises toward 0 ○ 2. IPSP - inhibitory postsynaptic potentials ■ Opposite - hyperpolarization ■ Reduce in membrane potential EPSPs - Excitatory ● ALWAYS depolarizing, goes toward 0 ● Kind of signal that leads to action potential if large enough ● Neurotransmitter binds to and opens chemically gated channels that allow simultaneous flow of Na and K+ in opposite directions ● Na+ influx is greater than than K+ efflux, causing a net depolarization ● EPSP helps trigger AP at axon hillock if EPSP is of threshold strength and opens the voltage-gated channels IPSPs - Inhibitory ● ALWAYS hyperpolarizing, makes it more negative ● Make it more difficult to excite a neuron ● Neurotransmitter binds to and opens channels for K+ or Cl- ● Causes a hyperpolarization (the inner surface of membrane becomes more negative) ● Reduces the postsynaptic neuron’s ability to produce an action potential ○ ADD and ADHD - associated with inactive regions of the brain ○ This region of the brain inhibits other regions of the brain, making it difficult to focus ○ Stimulant (riddalin) excites this region of the brain Integration: summation ● A - no summation ○ Nothing happens ○ If the stimuli are not adequately close together, in time, there is NO SUMMATION ○ Summation means EFFECT ● B - temporal summation ○ Presynaptic neuron fires twice, close in time ○ 1st signal has depolarization but doesnt quite reach threshold ○ Since next stimuli happens quick enough, it reaches threshold and causes an action potential ○ 2 events have an additive effect and cause a summation ■ 2nd stimulus is usually the same as the first ○ Temporal = time ● C - spatial summation ○ Two different excitatory potential ○ If both fire approximately at the same time, we will have a summation - a larger change in MP than if either one fired indepenantly ○ Two different neurons each firing at the same time ● D - spatial summation, 1 EPSP and 1 IPSP ○ If both fire at the same time, the net result is 0 ● Additive - requires at least 2 neurons ● No summation - can be just 1 neuron Neurotransmitters and neuromodulators ● Look at ppt ● Almost all signaling molecules bind to a receptor ● Few exceptions can bypass the receptor - dont need to know them ● **KNOW THESE** ○ 1. Acetylcholine (Ach) ■ Most abundant ■ Nervous system - skeletal muscle ■ Binds to 2 different kinds of receptors - nicotinic (excitatory) & muscarinic (excitatory OR inhibitory) ● Nicotine & Muscarine ■ Secreted by presynaptic neuron ■ Excitatory or inhibitory ■ Receptor on post synaptic neuron determines if the signal is excitatory or inhibitory ■ Don’t worry about ‘sites where secreted’ or ‘comments” ○ 2. Biogenic Amines - Just look at table 11.3… ■ All are derivatives of the amino acid Tyrosine ■ Low levels of norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin in the brain are associated with depression ■ Dopamine - pleasure the ‘feel good neurotransmitter’ ● Orgasm ■ Serotonin - most associated with depression ■ Histamine - not as important, don’t look at it ○ 3. Amino acids ■ Some amino acids serve as neurotransmitters ■ ^^ that’s all you need to know on the exam ■ Don’t need to know these specifics ○ 4. Peptides ■ Endorphins block pain ● Opioid ■ ONLY need to know about endorphins and maybe a little CCK ■ CCK ● Released by the gut ● Involved in regulating appeti
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit