Biological Sciences
Course
BIOL 065
Professor
Dr.Joanne Kerr
Semester
Fall

Description
Respiratory System 1. Components a. Nasal cavities b. Pharynx c. Larynx (oral, cavity ) d. Trachea e. Bronchial "Tree" i. right lung: 3 lobes, larger ii. Left lung: 2 lobes, smaller f. Lungs g. Diaphragm and Intercostal Muscles - (Floor of the lung) 2. Functions a. allow us to take deep breaths, smell, cough, sneeze 3. Air Pathway (Inhalation): a. Nasal Cavities i. Pseudostratified Cilitated Columnar Epithelium with Goblet Cells for Mucus production 1. In the nose. 2. Air too dry = will moisten for us 3. air too hot = will cool for us 4. air too cold = will warm for us 5. The nose hair will trap particles from coming in ii. Conchae (folds of bone) iii. Nasal Septum = bone + Cartilage iv. Lateral walls = muscle and skin v. Floor = hard and soft Palate (also roof of the mouth), also floor of nasal cavity vi. Uvula (Soft Palate) - seals the nose with swallowing, muscle! Each time we swallow, it flips up to block entrance to nasal cavity vii. Olfactory region 1. Sense of smell via Cranial nerve #1 viii. Four Paranasal Sinuses: 1. Frontal, Maxillary, Sphenoid and Ethmoid 2. Tear ducts - nasal tear ducts 3. Nasolacriminal duct (canal) : Tears -> Nose 4. Eustachian Tube: Middle Ear to Nasal Pharynx 5. Nasal Cavity Receives: Air, SInus secretions, Tears, Mucous, Eustachian Tube air and Oral Liquids (with failed Uvula = laughing while swallowing b. Pharynx - common to Respiratory and Digestive systems (Essential Function: Protection of the airway) i. Three parts 1. Nasal Pharynx - part of nose 2. Oral pharynx - part of mouse 3. Laryngeal Pharynx (also called the hypopharynx) - air and food anterior - form larynx 4. STRATIFIED SQUAMOUS EPITHELIUM c. Larynx i. made of cartilages ii. From Epiglottis to Top of the Trachea iii. Nine Cartilages: 3 unpaired and 3 paired 1. 3 unpaired a. Thyroid - Adam's Apple b. Cricoid - signet ring below Thyroid Cartilage (Ring- shaped) c. Epiglottis - (Greek) - on the mouth of the windpipe, leaf shaped, movable elastic cartilage (tongue shaped, flips down to block food from trachea to lung) 2. 3 paired a. Arytenoids - pyramids with attached true vocal cords, skeletal muscle to move cords together or apart b. Corniculates- horn like elastic cartilage, above the arytenoids c. Cuneiforms - wedged shaped elastic cartilage, lie in front of the Arytenoids iv. Males: puberty in males 1. enlarged thyroid cartilage with longer vocal folds = slower vibration = deeper voice 2. Testerone causes changes 3. Women: thinner and shorter vocal cords = higher voice v. Cancers 1. people who smoke tobacco (because of hot smoke and tar) 2. people who smoke and drink: much higher change 3. Laryngitis - inflammation of larynx. Voice becomes hoarse d. Trachea i. windpipe ii. 16 20 C-shaped Hyaline cartilages that open posteriorly iii. Lies anterior to Esophagus iv. Splits into right and left primary bronchi 1. right: shorter, wider, more vertical -> 3 secondary bronchi ( 3 lobes) [bigger in diameter and more vertical] 2. left: longer, narrower, more horizontal -> 2 secondary bronchi (2 lobes) v. Pleura 1. double sac of serious membrane surrounding the lungs inner Visceral layer, outer Parieta
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 065

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit