Anatomy Notes Oct 15

4 Pages
Unlock Document

San Jose State University
Biological Sciences
BIOL 065
Dr.Joanne Kerr

Skull and the Newborn Skeleton 1. Axial Skeleton a. Skull and Vertebral Column and Thorax (Sternum and Ribs) 2. Skull a. 8 Cranial b. 14 Facial Skeleton c. 6 Auditory Ossicles d. Hyoid e. 29 Bones total 3. Cranial Skull = 8 bones a. Frontal i. One bone ii. Newborns has 2 frontal bones iii. Forehead iv. Sinus b. Ethmoid i. One bone ii. Sieve-like (lots of holes = sinuses) iii. Superior and Middle Conchae of the Nose c. Occipital i. One bone ii. Back of the head iii. Base of skull and has opening for spinal cord d. Parietal i. Two bones ii. Side wall for the brain vault iii. Protects the brain e. Temporal i. Two bones ii. On the side of the head iii. “Temples” iv. Houses 6 Auditory Bones v. External Auditory (acoustic) Meatus vi. Mastoid (nipple) with sinus (behind the hear) 1. Sinus infection = very painful and very hard to treat vii. Zygomatic Arch 1. Cheek bone f. Sphenoid i. One bone ii. Wedge-shape (like a butterfly) iii. Has sinuses 1. Houses the Sella Turcica with Pituitary gland 4. Facial Skull a. 14 bones b. Delicate and more likely to facture i. Maxillary 1. Two bones with a total of 16 Alveoli (tooth sockets) 2. Holds our upper teeth. 3. If teeth root reaches up to sinus, and the specific teeth must be taken out, the dentist must close up sinus. Later the bone will cover the sinus from the mouth because bone is living tissue. ii. Zygomatic 1. Two bones 2. Cheek bone 3. Women put makeup on this 4. Fracture cheekbone = can affect the eye iii. Nasal 1. Two bones 2. Attach to cartilage 3. Nose job = not permanent because bone is living tissue and will grow and change back a. Remodeling cartilage only = OK b. Nasal cavity bone = will not be affective iv. Palatine 1. Two bones 2. Two maxillary bones forms the roof of the mouth/base of Nose a. Cleft Palate i. Palates didn’t come together after birth ii. Speech is affected, food is hard to eat, baby must know how to sniff to drink something b. Cleft Lip i. Cosmetic (can fix the cleft lip) ii. Very common! iii. 1:700 births in 1 world countries. rd iv. In 3 world countries = MORE COMMMON!! v. Environmental, not genetic! 3. Embryology a. Migrate to midline during birth and reaches together c. Vomer i. One thin bone ii. Bottom of Nasal Septum iii. Deviated Nasal Sectum
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 065

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.