COMM 100W Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Gentrification
DepartmentCommunication Studies Department
Course CodeCOMM 100W
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
● Gentrification negatively affects a neighborhood.
● About ⅕ of residents leaving gentrifying
neighborhoods move to lower-income
○ Usually with more crime rates and worse schools.
● Studies show that rental prices cause the displacement
of people of color from their homes.
○ For example, between 1990 and 2011, the
percentage of black residents in all Oakland
■ by 40 percent.
● Gentrification leads to exclusion of the poor
○ It’s a result of the middle and upper class moving
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version