Fall 2016

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSY 492
Professor
Vincent Miles
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Research in Health Psychology
Critical Thinking
"Unscientific" thinking = dangerous
o Belief bias
o
We go into a situation with some kind of pre-obtained
understanding/thinking of how it works, and we need to distance ourselves
from that
Science nowadays fights against this
o Inaccurate assumptions
o
E.g. swine flu- connecting that term to the disease hurt the pork industry
o Deception
o
People presenting research may not have the best purpose in mind
Human nature requires that we will fall for things if they're pitched in the
right way
Research methods
o Descriptive
o
Researchers observe and record participants' behaviors, often forming
hypotheses that are later tested more systematically
A good starting point when trying to understand a phenomenon and first
start building a hypothesis
Case studies
E.g. Little Albert
Can be intensive and costly
Limited generalizability
Observational
Unstructured (naturalistic observation)
Structured (lab observation)
Surveys
Self-report measures
Open vs. closed-ended questions
Likert scale
Answer 1-7; still closed-ended, but there is more
room for diversity within responses
Low cost
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com Research in Health Psychology  Critical Thinking  "Unscientific" thinking = dangerous  o Belief bias o  We go into a situation with some kind of pre-obtained understanding/thinking of how it works, and we need to distance ourselves from that  Science nowadays fights against this o Inaccurate assumptions o  E.g. swine flu- connecting that term to the disease hurt the pork industry o Deception o  People presenting research may not have the best purpose in mind  Human nature requires that we will fall for things if they're pitched in the right way  Research methods  o Descriptive o  Researchers observe and record participants' behaviors, often forming hypotheses that are later tested more systematically  A good starting point when trying to understand a phenomenon and first start building a hypothesis  Case studies   E.g. Little Albert  Can be intensive and costly  Limited generalizability  Observational   Unstructured (naturalistic observation)  Structured (lab observation)  Surveys   Self-report measures   Open vs. closed-ended questions  Likert scale   Answer 1-7; still closed-ended, but there is more room for diversity within responses  Low cost find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com  Limited data  Bias can exist in responses   We have to take these answers with a grain of salt  Reveal information about 2 or more variables that may be related   To determine the extent of the relationship, the correlation is calculated  Correlation (r-value) ranges from +1.00 to -1.00  Can be positively or negatively correlated o Experimental o  Studies in which a treatment, procedure, or program is introduced and a result/outcome is observed  Variables   Independent   Introduced to see the effects it produces; manipulates  Dependent   The measurement of those effects  Confounding   "Other factors"; other things going on that might be changing or affecting the result  E.g. sleep study on melatonin where everyone is receiving the exact same treatment- but for half of the subjects the
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit