SOC 201 Lecture 9: Cuarato’s Reading and Laying Foundation

2 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 201
Professor
Rebekah Burroway

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
SOC 361-2
Historical Development of Sociology
Cuarato’s Reading and Laying Foundation & Critique of Fundamentalism
Three- part theory
1. Contextualizing Theory means bringing attention to the Political, Social, Geography and
Historical dynamics that shape the production of theory.
2. Provincializing Theory:
3. Pluralizing Theory: (bringing in a variety of perspectives)
A Canon is a selection of text that is deemed essential to a case. A selection of text that’s
considered important. It’s defined by human beings, who often argue about what text is
important.
The Law of Three Stages
Enlightenment Theme
Emerges of the Social Science
Process of Secularization and its roots, gaining in the renaissance and ends in the period
of enlightenment
Individuals getting autonomy from religious authority to be able to use observation,
empirical evidence to explain phenomenon and not have to rely on the church. All
purposes are intellectual
Pg 17. Collins) General explanations are provided (explain/describe/define European
culture)
European civilization was deemed superior.
Colonial Expansion: the enlighten is taking place in this era of European colonial
expansion also known as discoveries.
Empiricism using empirical reasoning’s to produce general explanation.
The Rise of Social Sciences
Postcolonial Thought: 1839 that the term sociology was first used by comte
He’s trying to distinguish the social. He wanted to create an elite group of experiment
whose ideas would help control/advise society’s leaders and help direct it. Sociology Is
the science of the social. The role of the sociologist was not to challenge, but to serve
power. The discipline was originally conceived to challenge power not serve
1854 one of the first books to use sociology
Women’s political activism because increasingly important over time
Order of Social Science that emerged
1. Economics
Psychology emerged as it’s on discipline
Experimental psychology
Anthropology
Hierarchy of human groups put in the same table as animals
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
SOC 361-2 Historical Development of Sociology Cuaratos Reading and Laying Foundation & Critique of Fundamentalism Three- part theory 1. Contextualizing Theory means bringing attention to the Political, Social, Geography and Historical dynamics that shape the production of theory. 2. Provincializing Theory: 3. Pluralizing Theory: (bringing in a variety of perspectives) A Canon is a selection of text that is deemed essential to a case. A selection of text thats considered important. Its defined by human beings, who often argue about what text is important. The Law of Three Stages Enlightenment Theme Emerges of the Social Science Process of Secularization and its roots, gaining in the renaissance and ends in the period of enlightenment Individuals getting autonomy from religious authority to be able to use observation, empirical evidence to explain phenomenon and not have to rely on the church. All purposes are intellectual Pg 17. Collins) General explanations are provided (explain/describe/define European culture) European civilization was deemed superior. Colonial Expansion: the enlighten is taking place in this era of European colonial expansion also known as discoveries. Empiricism using empirical reasonings to produce general explanation. The Rise of Social Sciences Postcolonial Thought: 1839 that the term sociology was first used by comte Hes trying to distinguish the social. He wanted to create an elite group of experiment whose ideas would help control/advise societys leaders and help direct it. Sociology Is the science of the social. The role of the sociologist was not to challenge, but to serve power. The discipline was originally conceived to challenge power not serve 1854 one of the first books to use sociology Womens political activism because increasingly important over time Order of Social Science that emerged 1. Economics Psychology emerged as its on discipline Experimental psychology Anthropology Hierarchy of human groups put in the same table as animals SOC 361-2 Historical Development of Sociology Pg. 34, the term anthropology got coined In the 1700s before sociology. The word meant human biology. BY mid century anthropology had even researchers to organize societies/having disciplinary conferences and associations. There
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit