Get 1 week of unlimited access
Class Notes (1,035,019)
US (406,439)
SBU (4,911)
SOC (253)
SOC 201 (12)
Lecture 1

SOC 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Suicidal Ideation, Biomed Central, Ebsco Information Services

1 pages81 viewsSpring 2018

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 201
Professor
Rebekah Burroway
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Key Terms: Stigma, HIV/AIDS, Effect, Low Incomed Communities, Mental Health,
Depression, Suicide, Physical Health,
Abstract:
The negative stigma associated with HIV/AIDS negatively contributes to the mental health of
those who have HIV/AIDS. I’ll discuss the mind/body connection and how our emotions affect
our health. I’ll then discuss the stigma that surrounds HIV/AIDS, and how its rooted behind the
origin of HIV/AIDS and statistics on how its predominately spread (unprotected sex/drug users).
I’ll talk about underdeveloped countries and how their struggle to find financial means to support
their sickness contributes to their health (anatomically, physiologically and psychologically). I’ll
conclude my paper with different efforts that have been implemented already and can be done to
help combat the negative stigma, and ultimately contribute in ending the aids epidemic.
Research Question:
How does the negative stigma associated with HIV/AIDS negatively affect the health of those
infected?
Thesis: The negative stigma associated with HIV/AIDS negatively contributes to the mental
health of those who have HIV/AIDS.
Literature Review:
Zeng, Chengbo, et al. "A Structural Equation Model of Perceived and Internalized Stigma,
Depression, and Suicidal Status among People Living with HIV/AIDS." BMC Public
Health, vol. 18, no. 1, 15 Jan. 2018, p. 138. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1186/s12889-018-5053-
Previous studies have shown positive association between HIV-related stigma and depression,
suicidal ideation, and suicidal attempt among people living with HIV/AIDS
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.