Premium

2 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 248
Professor
Caglar Cetin, Samee Shirazi, Tiffany Joseph

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
SOC 248- Lecture notes- Lecture 22
Exam review day 2
Define literacy
Being able to read and write
Allows you to communicate, get a job, base of education
T/F? 700million + adults remain illiterate around the world?
True
Name 1 difference between the US and European education systems?
European system has specialization they don’t have the US version of undergrad
Higher education is paid for by the govt
Have higher taxes
What's the relationship between education and development
More highly developed countries have more education people
Higher educated like doctors help the economy which helps to boost the global position
in the world market
Lower levels of education in a country hinder economic development
Ties to migration “brain drain”
Ties to inequality. Socioeconomic status often influences what quality of education
you’re able to attend ie public v private schools. Influences what type of career field you may
enter
Ties to gender. Girls often do not get to go to schools if there is also a boy in the family
Ties to population and health
Higher educated people tend to have less children and are waiting longer to have
children.
“Population booms” population growing very quickly
Factors that tie into a population boom
Peace times
Role of birth control or lack-thereof
Health improvements
Migration can revitalize a population by contributing to the economy
Who is the theorist that opposed the banking concept of education?
Paulo Freire
Theory is that students are like sponges that just absorb information. Teachers deposit
into students information directly and students are expected to give it right back through exams
How is a curriculum determined in a country?
School boards
State
Government
In some parts of the US some schools don’t teach evolution
Cuba and North Korea have very limited access to the rest of the world. Only rely on
what they’re taught in the classroom, which is heavily influenced by govt
Name 5 of the most populous countries in the world
US, China, India, Indonesia, Brazil
What's the current world population?
7.5 billion
Name the 2 theorists about population growth
Thomas Malthus
Population is growing exponentially and resources will become an issue. Lack of
resources will lead to an increase in conflict
Karl marx. Population is growing exponentially but the people are a nation’s greatest
strength. If everyone to has equal access to resources there won’t be conflict
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
SOC 248- Lecture notes- Lecture 22 Exam review day 2 Define literacy Being able to read and write Allows you to communicate, get a job, base of education T/F? 700million + adults remain illiterate around the world? True Name 1 difference between the US and European education systems? European system has specialization they dont have the US version of undergrad Higher education is paid for by the govt Have higher taxes What's the relationship between education and development More highly developed countries have more education people Higher educated like doctors help the economy which helps to boost the global position in the world market Lower levels of education in a country hinder economic development Ties to migration brain drain Ties to inequality. Socioeconomic status often influences what quality of education youre able to attend ie public v private schools. Influences what type of career field you may enter Ties to gender. Girls often do not get to go to schools if there is also a boy in the family Ties to population and health Higher educated people tend to have less children and are waiting longer to have children. Population booms population growing very quickly Factors that tie into a population boom Peace times Role of birth control or lack-thereof Health improvements Migration can revitalize a population by contributing to the economy Who is the theorist that opposed the banking concept of education? Paulo Freire Theory is that students are like sponges that just absorb information. Teachers deposit into students information directly and students are expected to give it right back through exams How is a curriculum determined in a country? School boards State Government In some parts of the US some schools dont teach evolution Cuba and North Korea have very limited access to the rest of the world. Only rely on what theyre taught in the classroom, which is heavily influenced by govt Name 5 of the most populous countries in the world US, China, India, Indonesia, Brazil What's the current world population? 7.5 billion Name the 2 theorists about population growth Thomas Malthus Population is growing exponentially and resources will become an issue. Lack of resources will lead to an increase in conflict Karl marx. Population is growing exponentially but the people are a nations greatest strength. If everyone to has equal access to resources there wont be conflict Name some of the most prevalent diseases Zika HIV/AIDS Ebola Malaria Cardiovascular diseases (diabetes, obesity) What country spends the most on healthcare? US Least amount of access to healthcare though What is life expectancy? The number of years youre expected to live in a country Whats infant mortality rat
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit