Chemistry
Course
CHE 106
Professor
Sponsler
Semester
Fall

Description
Hypothesis Tentative explanation of some regularity of nature Theory Tested explanation of basic natural phenomena Law Concise statement or mathematical equation about a fundamental relationship or regularity of  nature Law of Conservation of Mass mass, or quantity of matter, remains constant during any chemical change. Matter  anything that occupies space and has mass  Property  a characteristic of a sample of matter Physical: not involving change of composition: mass, temp, density Chemical: involving reaction: flammability, acidity Mass Amount of matter (Physical) Volume Amount of space (Physical) Weight Force of gravity (Physical) Substance Matter with properties that do not vary from sample to sample Intensive properties Independent of the amount of the substance that is present Density, boiling point, color, hardness Useful for identification of substances Extensive Properties Depends upon the amount of substance present Mass, volume, energy Physical State Solid, liquid, gas Chemical constitution Element, compound, mixture Elements 114 confirmed, 118 observed can’t be decomposed Atom Smallest unit of an element Compounds Composed of two or more elements (chemically combined) Smallest unit is the molecule Law of Definite Proportions Pure compounds always contain definite or constant proportions of the elements by mass Elements, compounds and mixtures Chemical reactions convert compounds to other compounds Elements may also be involved Mixture Material that can be separated by physical process into two or more substances Variable compositions Heterogeneous­consist of physically distinct parts (sugar and salt) Homogeneous­properties are uniform throughout (salt water) Solutions­homogeneous mixtures Scientific Notation Measurement Collection of quantitative data Precision Closeness of separate measurements of the same quantity 4.1 General Properties of Aqueous Solutions 1) Solution a) Homogeneous mixtures of two or more pure substances b) Aqueous Solution­water is the dissolving medium c) Ionic compounds dissociate into independent ions when dissolved in water d) NaCl(s) →  Na+ (aq) + Cl­ (aq) 2) Dissociation a) Pulling individual ions from the crystal and solvates them 3) Solvent a) Present at greatest abundance  b) Water as a Solvent c) Water is a very effective solvent for ionic compounds 4) Solutes a) all other substances 5) Water is electrically neutral, but at the oxygen end it has a partially negative charge 6) Electrolyte a) Compounds that freely dissociate into independent ions in aq. Solutions b) Capable of conducting electric current c) Motion of ions in solution is responsible for conductivity of aq. solutions d) Not all electrolytes are ionic compounds e) Some molecular compounds dissociate into ions i) HCl(g) →  H+ (aq) + Cl­ (aq) ii) True for strong acids iii) Electrically conducting, so then it is an electrolyte 7) Nonelectrolytes a) Compounds that dissolve in water to give a non­conducting solution 8) Weak electrolytes a) Compounds that partially dissociate to ins in aq. Solution b) Weak acids and bases 9) Conductivity a) More ions leads to higher conductivity 10) Notation b) Half­arrows pointing in opposite directions mean that the reaction is significant in  both directions 10) Chemical equilibrium a) The relative number of each type of ions/compounds are constant over time. 4.2 Precipitation Reactions 1) Types of Chemical Reactions a) Precipitation reactions b) Acid­base reactions c) Oxidation­reduction reactions 2) Precipitation Reactions a) Formation of a precipitate from the reactants in solution b) Compound precipitates because it has low solubility i) Solubility­the amount of the substance that can be dissolved in a given  quantity of solvent at a given temperature ii) Look at solubility rules in table 4.1 p.121 c) reactions occur in the form of  “exchange reaction” i) reaction between compounds that when written as a molecular equation,  appears to involve and exchange of cations and anions 3) Molecular and Ionic Equations a) Molecular equation i) Reactants and products are written as if they were molecules ii) May actually exist in solution as ions iii) Ca(OH)2 (aq) + Na2CO3 (aq) →  CaCO3 (s) + 2NaOH(aq) b) Ionic equations i) Represent strong electrolytes as separate independent ions ii) More accurate representation of the way electrolytes behave in solution c) Complete ionic equation i) Chemical equation in which strong electrolytes are written as separate ions in  solution 2−(aq)→   ii) Ca2+(aq)+2OH−(aq)+2Na+(aq)+CO  CaCO3 (s) ↓ +2N a+ (aq) + 2OH− (aq) d) Net ionic equations i) Chemical equation from which spectator ions have been removed (1) Spectator ion­ ion that doesn’t take part in reaction 4.3 Acids, Bases, and Neutralization Reactions 1) Acid­Base Reactions a) Acid i) Substance that produces hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water ii) Strong acid is a strong electrolyte iii) Weak acid is a weak electrolyte iv) Proton donors b) Base i) Substance that produce hydroxide ions (OH­) when dissolved in water ii) Strong base is a strong electrolyte iii) Weak base is a weak electrolyte c) Strong bases and acids i) Strong acids/bases are written as separate ions ii) Weak bases are represented as undissociated “molecules” in ionic equations iii) See table 4.2 p.125 for common strong acids/bases d) Neutralization Reactions i) Acids and bases neutralize each other ii) Acid and base react resulting in an ionic compound and water iii) Ionic compound in product is called a salt iv) Involves transfer of protons v) HCl(aq) + KOH(aq) →  KCl(aq) + H2O(l) (1) H+ give proton to OH­ e) Acid­Base Reactions with Gas Formation i) Carbonates react with acids to form carbonic acid, which decomposes to form  water and carbon dioxide gas ii) Sulfites react with acids to form SO , su2fur dioxide gas iii) Sulfides react with acids to form H S, 2ydrogen sulfide gas 4.4 Oxidation­Reduction Reactions 1) Oxidation­Reduction Reactions (Redox Reactions) a) Involves the transfer of electrons from one species to another b) Oxidation  i) Loss of electrons ii) OIL­Oxidation is Loss c) reduction i) gain of electrons ii) RIG­Reduction is Gain d) oxidation and reduction always occur simultaneously e) Fe(s) + CuSO4 (aq) →  FeSO4 (aq) + Cu(s) i) rust ii) Iron loses 2 electrons (oxidation) iii) Copper gains 2 electrons (reduction) f) Oxidation Numbers i) Book keeping of electrons in a reaction ii) Either actual charge or hypothetical charge iii) Rules (1) Elements (a) Equals 0 (2) Monatomic ions (a) Equals the charge of the ion (3) Nonmetals­typically have negative charges (a) Oxygen (i) O=­2 (ii) O2=  (iii) Peroxide= ­1 (b) Hydrogen (i) +1, unless it is an ion (c) halogens (i) fluorine is ­1 (ii) rest are ­1 unless the other element is another halogen or oxygen (4) Compounds and ions (a) Sum of numbers of atoms in neutral compound is 0 (b) Sum of polyatomic ion equals the charge on the ion g) Recognizing Redox Reactions i) Element as a reactant or product h) Oxidizing Agent i) Species that oxidizes another species ii) It is itself reduced i) Reducing Agent i) Species that reduces another species ii) It is itself oxidized j) Types of Redox Reactions i) Combination reactions (1) Reaction in which two substances combine and form a third substance (2) Don’t need to involve elements as reactants (3) May or may not be redox reactions ii) Decomposition reactions iii) Combustion reactions iv) Displacement reactions (1) A reaction in which one element reacts with a compound displacing an  element from it k) Balancing simple Redox reactions i) Must have a charge balance as well as a mass balance ii) Redox reactions involving metals can be predicted by using an activity series  table (p. 136 in book) 4.5 Concentration of Solutions 1) Working with Solutions a) Majority of we have used are aqueous solutions b) When you run reactions in liquid solutions, it is convenient to dispense the  amounts of reactants by measuring out volume of reactant solutions c) Concentration i) The quantity of solute in a standard quantity of solution 2) Molar Concentration a) Defined as the moles of solute dissolved in one liter (cubic decimeter of solution) b) Molarity (M)=           moles of solute volume of solution in liters 3) Dilution a) Adding solvent makes a solution less concentrated b) The molarity of a solution and its volume are inversely proportional c) M concV conc *dil dil 4) Titration a) Combining a solution where the solute concentration is not known with a reagent  solution of known concentration b) Equivalence point i) The point at which stoichiometrically equivalent quantities are brought  together 5.1 The Nature of Energy 1) Thermochemistry a) The study of energy changes associated with chemical reactions b) Knowing about the energy changes we can predict/control what will happen c) Thermodynamics  i) Study of energy and its transformation 2) Energy a) The capacity to move matter (do work) or transfer heat b) Forms i) Radiant energy:  Electromagnetic radiation ii) Thermal energy:  associated with random motion of a molecule or atom iii) Chemical energy:  energy stored within the structural limits of a molecule or  atom 3) Concepts of energy a) Kinetic Energy i) Energy associated with an object by virtue of its motion ii) Ek=1/2 mv 2 iii) KE depends on the mass and its speed (v=velocity) iv) SI unit of energy is the Joule (1) 1 calorie (cal)=4.184 J b) Potential energy  i) The energy an object has by virtue of its position in a field of force ii) Ep=mgh c) Internal Energy i) The sum of the kinetic and potential energies of the particles making up a  substance ii) Sum of KE and PE 4) Transfer of Energy a) Typically goes from the “system” to its “surroundings” i)  System (1) portion we single out for study (2) Open System: matter and energy can be exchanged with the surroundings (3) Closed System: can exchange energy, but not matter with its surroundings (4) Isolated System: neither energy nor matter can be exchanged with its  surroundings ii) Surroundings (1) Everything else b) Work and Heat i) Causing the motion of an object against a force and causing a temp. change  are the two general ways that energy can be transferred into/out of a system. (1) Force: any push/pull exerted on an object ii) Heat (1) Denoted by the symbol “q” (a) Sign is positive if heat is absorbed (b) Sign is negative if heat is evolved by the system (2) Energy that flows into or out of a system because of a difference in temp.  between the system and its surroundings (3) Heat flows from higher temp. to lower temp. (4) Heat flow stops when the temp. becomes even (thermal equilibrium) (5) Heat of a reaction is the value q required to return a system to the original  temperature at the completion of the reaction. (6) Exothermic process (a) Chemical reaction/physical change in which heat is evolved (b) q is negative (7) Endothermic Process (a) Chemical reaction/physical change in which heat is absorbed (b) q is positive 5.2 The First Law of Thermodynamics 1) Law of Conservation of Energy a. Energy may be converted from one form to another, but the total quantity of  energy remains constant b. Also known as the “First Law of Thermodynamics” c. In this way, energy is just like mass – Both are conserved. 2) Internal Energy a. ΔE=q+w b. When heat is added to a system or work is done, its internal energy increases 3) State Function a. A property of a system that is determined by specifying the systems condition  or state b. The value depends only on the present state of the system, not the path it took  to get there c. Doesn’t depend on how change occurred 5.3 Enthalpy 1) Enthalpy and Enthalpy Change a) The heat absorbed or evolved by a reaction depends on the conditions under  which it occurs. b) Usually, a reaction takes place in an open vessel, and therefore at the constant  pressure of the atmosphere c) The heat of this type of reaction is denoted qp, the heat at constant pressure d) Enthalpy i) H ii) related to the internal energy iii) H=E+PV e) ΔH=ΔE+PΔV=q p f) H is an extensive property of a substance that can be used to obtain the heat  absorbed or evolved in a chemical reaction i) If we use E, then we can also include work (w) ii) Rather just use heat g) State function i) It only depends on the starting point and the ending point ii) Doesn’t depend on the history of the system iii) always products­reactants h) The change in enthalpy for a reaction at a given temperature and pressure  (enthalpy of reaction) is obtained by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants from  the enthalpy of the products i) ΔH=H productsreactants i) Enthalpy Diagram i) Tells the heat that is given off ii) Tells the amount of energy, and the direction energy is transferred (1) Exothermic: negative number in product (a) Reactants on top, products on bottom (2) Endothermic: positive number in product (a) Products on top, reactants on bottom j) Enthalpy and Internal Energy i) The internal energy (E) (1) The heat at a constant pressure plus the work done by the system (2) E=q pw ii) Chemical systems (1) w=­PΔV 2) Thermochemical Equation a) The chemical equation for a reaction (including phase labels) in which the  equation is given a molar interpretation, and the enthalpy of reaction for these  molar amounts is written directly after the equation i) Example:    N (2)+3H (g)2>2NH (g) Δ3=­91.8kJ b) Important to note phase labels because ΔH depends on the phase of the substances i) Changing the phase label changes the amount of energy ii) Grams of A*gA to molA*molA kJ­>kJ iii) reactant or product*use molar mass*use enthalpy of reacti 5.4 Enthalpies of Reactions 1)  Measuring Heats of Reaction a) Heats of reactions i) Measured by looking at the heat required to raise the temperature of a  substance ii) Thermochemical measurement is based on the relationship between heat and  temperature change iii) Relies on heat capacity (a) Heat Capacity (C) b) the amount of heat that is required to raise the temperature of the sample of  substance by one degree Celsius i) q=CΔT ii) C is an extensive property 2) Specific heat capacity c) Amount of heat required to raise temperature of one gram amounts of substances i) q=C *s*ΔT ii) Cs is an intensive property (a) Always the same for the same substance (b) Cs for water is 4.184 J/g­K 5.3 Calorimetry 1) Calorimeter a) A device used to measure the heat absorbed or evolved during a physical or  chemical change b) Need to prevent energy exchange with the systems surroundings c) If temperature goes up the ΔH for the reaction is negative (exothermic process) d) q calorimeterxn 5.6 Hess’s Law 1) States that for a chemical equation that can be written as the sum of two or more  steps, the enthalpy change for the overall equation is the sum of the enthalpy changes  for individual steps 2) This establishes that Enthalpy is a state function 3) Thermochemical Equations a) Multiplied by any factor, the value of ΔH for the new equation is obtained by  multiplying ΔH in the original equation by that same factor b) When a chemical equation is reversed, the value of ΔH is reversed 5.7 Enthalpies of Formation 1) Standard State a) Standard thermodynamic conditions chosen for substances when listing or  comparing thermodynamic data i) 1 atmosphere pressure and the specified temperature (usually 25C) b) Enthalpy change for reaction in which reactants are in their standard states is  denoted by ΔH° 2) Standard Enthalpy Formation a) The enthalpy change for the formation of one mole of a substance in its standard  state from its component elements in their standard states i) Standard enthalpy of formation for a pure element in its standard state is zero ii) Use the most stable forms (have to use fractions) iii) See table 5.3 (pay attention to the physical state – i.e.: liquid water vs. water  vapor have different values) b) Law of Summation of heats of formation i) Enthalpy of a reaction is equal to the total formation energy of the products  minus that of the reactants ii) Enthalpy of products minus enthalpy of products 6.1 The Wave Nature of Light 1) Light a) An enigma, possessing properties of both waves and particles b) E=hν i) Energy of light (E) is a photon ­34 ii) h=6.63*10 iii) ν is the frequency of light waves  (1) The number of wavelengths that pass a fixed point in 1 second c) Speed of light i) c=λ/ν ii) c is the speed of light iii) λ is wavelength (1) Distance between two adjacent peaks  (2) Larger the wavelength the higher energy iv) ν is the frequency  (a) The number of wavelengths that pass through a point in 1 second (b) The higher the frequency the higher the energy v) λ and ν are inversely proportional vi) Constant and can be measured 8 (1) c=3.00*10 m/s d) Electromagnetic spectrum i) Carries energy through space ii) Also called radiant energy iii) Various types of electromagnetic radiation arranged in order of increasing  wavelength 6.2 Quantized Energy of Photons 1) Quantum a) The smallest quantity of energy that can be emitted or absorbed as  electromagnetic radiation b) A quantum of energy, hν, is very small 2) Quantized a) It comes in photons b) No quantity of light less than a photon is possible c) Stairs are quantized, a ramp is not 3) Photoelectric effect a) Light shining on a clean metal surface causes the surface to emit electrons b) Photon i) “particle” of energy c) The intensity (brightness) of the light is related to the number of photons striking  the surface per unit time not to the energy of each photon 6.3 Line Spectra and the Bohr Model 1) Line Spectra a) Monochromatic i) Radiation composed of a single wavelength b) Polychromatic i) Radiation composed of multiple wavelengths c) Spectrum i) Produced when radiation from polychromatic sources are separated into its  component wavelengths d) Continuous Spectrum i) Rainbow containing light of all wavelengths 2) Bohr’s Model a) Set down postulates that would account for the stability of hydrogen atoms and  the line spectrum of the atom b) Postulates i) Energy level  (1) An electron can have only specific energy levels in an atom (energy is  quantized) (2) E=­hcR H                         n 2 2 (3) ΔE=­hcR (1Hn ­1/f ) i ii) Transitions between energy levels (1) An electron in an atom can change energy levels by undergoing a  “transition” from one energy level to another iii) When an electron undergoes a transition from a higher energy level to a lower  one, the energy lost is emitted as a photon c) Bohr’s theory explains not only the emission of light, but also the absorption of  light d) When an electron falls (energy decreases) from the n=3 to the n=2 energy level, a  photon of red light is emitted e) When red light of this same wavelength shines on a hydrogen atom in the n=2  level, the energy is gained by the electron that undergoes an n=3 3) Energy in a hydrogen atom a) Note that all energies are negative i) All less than zero, the energy of a free electron (1) Thus the electron is stabilized in any level 4) de Broglie postulated that matter, just like light, has wave­like properties a) Bohr’s theory does not take this into account 6.4 The Wave Behavior of Matter 1) Offers a new way of thinking and explaining the behavior of matter, especially in  small particles 2) Louis de Broglie Postulate a) A particle with mass (m) and the velocity (v) has an associated wavelength b) λ=h/mv i) h is Planck’s constant ii) mv is momentum iii) The values are so small that they cannot be detected 3) Electrons have wave­like properties a) They can be diffracted by a crystal just like in x­rays b) Leads to the invention of the electron microscope 6.5 Quantum Mechanics 1) Is the branch of physics that mathematically describes the wave properties of  submicroscopic particles. 2) Electrons don’t have a precise orbit in an atom (no longer typical picture of an atom) a) Would need to know its exact position and velocity b)  Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle i) It is impossible to know both the position and the momentum simultaneously ii) (Δx)(mΔv )≥x/4π iii) Δx  is the position iv) mΔv is the momentum x  v) When the mass is large the uncertainties are large, but when the mass is small  (electrons) the uncertainties are high, which prevent us from defining the exact  orbits. 3) Erwin Schrödinger defined the probability of finding an electron at a given point  around the nucleus in terms of wave function (Ψ) representing a mathematical  function over 3­D space. 2 a) The probability of finding an electron in a region of space is defined by Ψ b) Probability implies uncertainty c) The electron is most likely to be closer to the nucleus 4) Atomic Orbitals a) A wave function of an electron b) A drawing of an atomic orbital describes the region of space where there is a high  probability of finding electrons i) The lowest energy atomic orbital for H is spherical ii) Shows the shape of the probability distribution iii) Can be different sizes, shapes, and have different orientations c) The first three define the wave function in space for the a particular electron  (orbital) d) The fourth number is about he electron itself e) No two e can have the same set of quantum numbers f) Electrons don’t spend time at the node because they aren’t following a well­ defined orbit and therefore avoid the node 6.6 Representations of Orbitals 1)  Quantum Numbers and Atomic Orbitals a) Each electron is described by four quantum numbers i) Principal quantum number (n) (a) Size of orbital (b) The bigger n the larger shell  (c) Bigger the shell, the higher the energy of the electron (d) For a single electron, only one quantum number is required (n) (e) Can be integers between 1 and 7 (f) Refers to what row the element is in ii) Angular momentum quantum number (l) (a) Shape of orbital (b) Divides each shell into subshells (c) If shell quantum number n, there are n sub shells, each with distinctive  shape (d) l can have any integer value from 0 to (n­1) (e) s is spherical, when l=0, d is dumbbell shaped, when l=2, f orbital when  l=3 (f) p orbital is shaped like a dumbbell (g) d orbital are clover leaf and one is dumbbell with a doughnut around it (h) 1 s is small, and 2 s is bigger; grows as you go down the periodic table iii) Magnetic quantum number (m) l (a) Orientation within a given subshell  (b) Each subshell has a certain number of orbitals each capable of holding a  pair of electrons (c)  Can be integers between –l to +l iv) Spin quantum number (m ) s (a) Electron spin can be up or down (b) Either  ±½ (c) Can only have two electrons within each or
More Less

Related notes for CHE 106

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit