COM 107 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: State Ownership

81 views2 pages

Document Summary

Once upon a time: news was a source of information, face-to-face & (cid:862) tu(cid:373)p(cid:863) peeches i. e. newspapers transcripts of speeches, source of editorial opinion, editorial policies & pages, radio (cid:862)wire-side chats,(cid:863) radio broadcasts. I(cid:373)pact o(cid:374) (cid:862)awareness,(cid:863) (cid:862)learning,(cid:863) a(cid:374)d (cid:862)agenda setting(cid:863: awareness: tells you what to be aware of when making a decision; what should you care about. Effects dependent upon: message content, quality, receiver"s predispositions (most important factor in determining influence of ads) Identification: someone you know, can identify with, someone you feel like you know: affect laden. Symbols: human (humanize the candidate: kissing babies, etc. , place (cid:894)(cid:449)orkplace, doctor"s office, etc. (cid:895, group identity, show the groups the ad is trying to identify with (ie. military, minorities, senior citizens, etc. ) Localism: an american tradition (cid:862)(cid:373)o(cid:373) a(cid:374)d pop store,(cid:863) (cid:373)ade i(cid:374) a(cid:373)erica, public ownership, your friends own the store: you feel like they owe you something, and you owe them something. Private enterprise: ownership, regulator, go(cid:448)"t regulates products a(cid:374)d (cid:373)edia.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers