Rajah K. Goodrich II 1/30/14
IST 346 Rieks
1. What is an Operating Systems Shell? It is a software component that gives the user an
interface to multiple operating system functions and services.
2. What are the advantages and drawbacks of a Command‐Line Shell? Some advantages
of using the cmd line is that users have much more control of their operating system, It
allows you to navigate faster when trying to execute a task. Some of the drawbacks of
the cmd line is that it isn’t easy to learn for new users because it requires a lot of
memorizations. Also even though the command line is able to multi-taks it is hard to
keep of track of what you’re doing.
3. What are the advantages and drawbacks of a Graphical Shell? Some advantages of the
GUI is that it allows for new users to be able to navigate around the operating system
with ease. It also allows for a user to be able to multi-task a lot more efficiently. Some of
the drawbacks are that it doesn’t offer as much control over the OS like the command
line. Another drawback is that it isn’t as fast as the cmd line.\
4. Which shell is the better shell CLI or GUI? The Command Line Shell is a lot better than
5. What is the name of the primary GUI shell in Windows? It is Windows Shell.
6. What are the two major GUI shells in Linux? Gnome and KDE
7. Why do operating systems need to be patched? It is important to update/patch your
operating system because it will fix problems, update a computer program or its data, it
could also fix security vulnerabilities along with make