IST 352 Lecture 5: IST 352 M003 Corsello 9-20-16

5 Pages

Department
Information Studies
Course Code
IST 352
Professor
Corsello

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com IST 352 | September 20, 2016 Identifying and Selecting Systems Development Projects Where Do New Projects Come From?  Functional Areas (customer)  Development Area  Laws and Regulations  Top Management  End Users  Stakeholder Groups (Councils) Introduction  Project management (PM) may be the most important aspect of systems development.  Effective PM helps to ensure o The meeting of customer expectations. o The satisfying of budget and time constraints.  The nature of projects has changed from custom development to implementing packaged software and data warehousing.  PM skills are difficult and important to learn. Managing the Information Systems Project  Project o A planned undertaking of related activities to reach an objective that has a beginning and an end  Project management find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com o A controlled process of initiating, planning, executing, and closing down a project  Project manager o A systems analyst with a diverse set of skills—management, leadership, technical, conflict management, and customer relationship—who is responsible for initiating, planning, executing, and closing down a project  Deliverable o The end product of an SDLC phase Deciding on Systems Projects  System Service Request (SSR) o A standard form for requesting or proposing systems development work within an organization o Here – “Team Dynamic”  Feasibility study o A study that determines whether a requested system makes economic and operational sense for an organization – is it possible? Phases of Project Management Process  Phase 1: Initiation  Phase 2: Planning  Phase 3: Execution  Phase 4: Closedown PM Phase 1: Initiation  Assess size, scope and complexity, and establish procedures.  Establish: o Initiation team o Relationship with customer find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com o Project initiation plan o Management procedures o Project management environment and workbook o Project charter Project Charter  A short document prepared for the customer describing project deliverables and outlining the work required to complete the project  There is software that helps you create this  Elements: o Title and authorization date o Project manager name and contact information o Customer name and contact information o Project start and completion dates o Key stakeholders, roles, responsibilities o Project objectives and description o Key assumptions o Signatures of stakeholders  These are important – it checks understanding PM Phase 2: Project Planning  Define clear, discrete activities and the work needed to complete each activity. Tasks include: 1. Describing Project Scope, Alternatives, and Feasibility 2. Dividing the Project into Manageable Tasks 3. Estimating Resources and Creating a Resource Plan 4. Developing a Preliminary Schedule 5. Developing a Communication Plan 6. Determining Project Standards and Procedures 7. Identifying and Assessing Risk 8. Creating a Preliminary Budget 9. Developing a Project Scope Statement 10.Setting a Baseline Project Plan Planning Detail
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit