Fall 2016

Department
Information Studies
Course Code
IST 352
Professor
Corsello
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
IST 352 | November 1, 2016
Designing Interfaces and Dialogues
User-focused activity
Prototyping methodology of iteratively:
Collecting information
Constructing a prototype
Assessing usability
Making refinements
Must answer the who, what, where, and how questions
Deliverables/Outcomes
Creation of a design specification
A typical interface/dialogue design specification is similar to form design, but includes multiple
forms and dialogue sequence specifications.
The specification includes:
Narrative overview
Sample design
Testing and usability assessment
Dialogue sequence
Dialogue sequencethe ways a user can move from one display to another
Interaction Methods and Devices
Interface: a method by which users interact with an information system
All human-computer interfaces must:
have an interaction style, and
use some hardware device(s) for supporting this interaction.
Methods of Interaction
Command line
Includes keyboard shortcuts and function keys
Menu
Form
Object-based
Natural language
Command Line:
Command language interaction: a human-computer interaction method whereby users
enter explicit statements into a system to invoke operations
Example from MS DOS:
COPY C:PAPER.DOC A:PAPER.DOC
Command copies a file from C: drive to A: drive
Menu
Menu interaction: a human-computer interaction method in which a list of system options is
provided and a specific command is invoked by user selection of a menu option
find more resources at oneclass.com
Pop-up menu: a menu-positioning method that places a menu near the current cursor
position
Drop-down menu is a menu-positioning method that places the access point of the menu
near the top line of the display.
When accessed, menus open by dropping down onto the display.
Visual editing tools help designers construct menus.
Guidelines for Menu Design
Wording meaningful titles, clear command verbs, mixed upper/lower case
Organization consistent organizing principle
Length all choices fit within screen length
Selection consistent, clear and easy selection methods
Highlighting only for selected options or unavailable options
Form Interaction
Form interaction: a highly intuitive human-computer interaction method whereby data
fields are formatted in a manner similar to paper-based forms
Allows users to fill in the blanks when working with a system.
Object Based Interaction
Object-based interaction: a human-computer interaction method in which symbols are
used to represent commands or functions
Icons: graphical pictures that represent specific functions within a system
Use little screen space and are easily understood by users
Natural Language Interaction
Natural language interaction: a human-computer interaction method whereby inputs to
and outputs from a computer-based application are in a conventional spoken language
such as English
Based on research in artificial intelligence
Current implementations are tedious and difficult to work with, not as viable as other
interaction methods.
Hardware Options
Keyboard
Mouse
Joystick
Trackball
Touch Screen
Light Pen
Graphics Tablet
Voice
Usability Problems with Hardware Devices
Visual Blocking
Extent to which device blocks display when using

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com IST 352 | November 1, 2016 Designing Interfaces and Dialogues  User-focused activity  Prototyping methodology of iteratively: Collecting information Constructing a prototype Assessing usability Making refinements  Must answer the who, what, where, and how questions Deliverables/Outcomes  Creation of a design specification A typical interface/dialogue design specification is similar to form design, but includes multiple forms and dialogue sequence specifications.  The specification includes: Narrative overview Sample design Testing and usability assessment Dialogue sequence  Dialogue sequence—the ways a user can move from one display to another Interaction Methods and Devices  Interface: a method by which users interact with an information system  All human-computer interfaces must: have an interaction style, and use some hardware device(s) for supporting this interaction. Methods of Interaction  Command line Includes keyboard shortcuts and function keys  Menu  Form  Object-based  Natural language Command Line:  Command language interaction: a human-computer interaction method whereby users enter explicit statements into a system to invoke operations  Example from MS DOS: COPY C:PAPER.DOC A:PAPER.DOC Command copies a file from C: drive to A: drive Menu  Menu interaction: a human-computer interaction method in which a list of system options is provided and a specific command is invoked by user selection of a menu option find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com  Pop-up menu: a menu-positioning method that places a menu near the current cursor position  Drop-down menu is a menu-positioning method that places the access point of the menu near the top line of the display.  When accessed, menus open by dropping down onto the display.  Visual editing tools help designers construct menus.  Guidelines for Menu Design  Wording — meaningful titles, clear command verbs, mixed upper/lower case  Organization — consistent organizing principle  Length — all choices fit within screen length  Selection — consistent, clear and easy selection methods  Highlighting — only for selected options or unavailable options Form Interaction  Form interaction: a highly intuitive human-computer interaction method whereby data fields are formatted in a manner similar to paper-based forms Allows users to fill in the blanks when working with a system. Object Based Interaction  Object-based interaction: a human-computer interaction method in which symbols are used to represent commands or functions  Icons: graphical pictures that represent specific functions within a system Use little screen space and are easily understood by users Natural Language Interaction  Natural language interaction: a human-computer interaction method whereby inputs to and outputs from a computer-based application are in a conventional spoken language such as English  Based on research in artificial intelligence  Current implementations are tedious and difficult to work with, not as viable as other interaction methods. Hardware Options  Keyboard  Mouse  Joystick  Trackball  Touch Screen  Light Pen  Graphics Tablet  Voice Usability Problems with Hardware Devices  Visual Blocking Extent to which device blocks display when using find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com  User Fatigue Potential for fatigue over long use  Movement Scaling Extent to which device movement translates to equivalent screen movement  Durability Lack of durability or need for maintenance (e.g., cleaning) over extended use  Adequate Feedback Extent to which device provides adequate feedback for each operation  Speed Cursor movement speed  Pointing Accuracy Ability to precisely direct cursor Designing Interfaces  Forms have several general areas in common: Header information Sequence and time-related information Instruction or forma
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit