February 20 Lecture Notes
• Does Taylor think human life can be meaningful?
• Does Taylor think human life can be valuable?
• Sisyphus pushing stone up the hill = meaningless life (no point)
• If Sisyphus has a desire to push the stone up the hill, then his life is meaningful from his
point of view
• Meaningfulness of a life is subjective, but is objectively meaningless
• Taylor tries to say meaningfulness is part of a good life
• Taylor says the kind of meaningfulness that is important is the kind where Sisyphus is
pushing stones and does it forever, fulfilling his deep desire of pushing stones
What are desires
• A desire is an attitude. It is about something
• Desires can be fulfilled or frustrated
• Desires have intensities and durations
• A desire can be fulfilled or frustrated whethe