March 4 Lecture Notes
What is Normative Ethics?
• The fundamental project of normative ethics of behavior is to discover, formulate and
defend a criterion for the moral permissibility of act tokens
• What is an act token?
• What is a criterion?
• What is moral permissibility?
Tokens and Types
• An act token is a particular action performed by a particular individual at a particular time
in a particular way. It is not repeatable and is not performable by another individual at
any other time or any other way. (i.e. John Wilkes Booth’s murder of Lincoln)
• An act type is a kind of act that many people can perform. Every act token is an
instance of many act types (ex. Murder)
What is a Criterion?
• A criterion of moral permissibility tells u