PSY 446 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Parent Management Training, Transtheoretical Model, Reinforcement

68 views8 pages
Lecture 1 - Motivational Interviewing
- Know trans-theoretical model of behavior changes (5 stages)
Precontemplation- dont see as a problem
Contemplation-start wondering how its affecting you, money, health
Preparation- want to change, havent done anything yet
Action- actually making change or acting upon something
Maintenence Stage- ive made these stages ive maintained them, i am incorporating this as
someone who i am (i am someone who doesnt smoke, i dont drink… )
Relapse- can happen but apart of maintenence phase.
Could be negative, person may go back to old ways
- Discussion regarding ineffective physician video vs. effective physician videos (links in
slides if you missed this class)
Not understanding
Asking many questions
Doubting Mother
Telling mother what to do
Fear vs encouragement
Accusatory, made parent defensive and caved in
INSTEAD, listen to the parent, avoid accusation
- In-class exercise w/ Brittany discussing smoking: what is active listening? How can you
tell?
Eye Contact, responding to the patient, nodding when appropriate
- What is MI? How different from traditional medical approach?
MI is a collaborative, person centered from of guiding elicit and strengthen motivation for
change
- What types of things has MI been effective for?
Alc Use
Drug and Tobacco Use
Risky Behaviors
Medication and treatment adherence
- Know & understand four important things in MI: collaboration, acceptance, compassion,
evocation
Collaboration instead of confrontation
Autonomy and acceptance instead of authority
Evocation instead of education
- Know & understand four processes: engagement, focusing, evoking, planning
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 8 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Engaging-starting to talk and start walking or talking
Foccusing- where are we going to walk, what are things we need to change, oh its smoking, lets
talk about that
Evoking- illicit reasons for change
Planning- how will be go about changing? How will you make that happen, what are some
barriers? What skills
- What are techniques of MI? Know OARS & what each one is
Ask Open Ended Questions- Some common open ended starters include:
To what extent…
How Often….
Help me understand…
Tell me about…
Affirmation- Affirmations are selective, non judgemental reflections of clients’ strengths,
resources, personal achievements
Reflective Listening- involved stating back to the client what you percieve they have shared
Summarizing- Summarizing allows you to clarify and reinforce what the client has been saying
How did i do
What have i missed
Anything you what to correct
Lecture 2 - Parent Management Training
- What types of questions might a parent have after they’re son/daughter is diagnosed?
What is this condition
Will my child survive, can my child be cured, how can I treat this, did I cause this
- Which parents tend to have more stress? i.e., what are the factors influencing this?
Severity of condition
Persistence of condition
Access to resources
Support system
- What can parents benefit from?
PMT, Parent Support Networks, Psychoeducation, Other Services for supports,
therapist/physician
- Generally, what’s parent management training? What are the goals? What types of
diagnoses might we use this with?
Specific treatment procedures in which parents are trained to alter theur bx at home
IDEALLY: increasing positive, prosocial bx, decreasing problem bx, increasing overall function
- Video clip of Kazdin in ppt à what’s he saying about problem behavior & defiance?
Start when the parent accuses the child, tells child not to touch things soon the child will want to
gain control and start acting defiant. Its the parent who is defiant not the child
Unlock document

- What are the two primary influences according to Kazdin? Do you understand what these
two are?
- What’s the ABC model? What are the four functions of behavior? Do you understand these
within examples?
Antecedent- right before behavior (environmental trigger)
Behavior- bad behavior, disruptive, defiant, temper tantrums
Consequence- pay off- what does kid get or not get.
- Differences between positive reinforcement, positive punishment, negative reinforcement,
negative punishment
- What reinforcement factors influence behavior change?
EFFORT, RATE, QUALITY, DELAY
- What does PMT look like? What ages is it appropriate for? What types of behaviors might
you start with? How can you tell if it worked?
When to give the reinforcer, how much of the reinforcer to give and which BEHAVIORS get the
reinforcer. It looks like children between 2-17, focus is to teach parents how to repsond to child’s
behavior, teach gradually to work up to mastery. It is very structured, 12-16 weekly sessions,
homework, ongoing eval. You can tell if it worked if theres an improvement in child’s bx, move
from clinical to nonclinical range, maintained over time, improvement in other family factors
Lecture 3 Sleep Problems
- How many kids have sleep problems? What types of things cause them?
20-40%. Poor sleep quantity and quality, parents always putting child to sleep
- What types of sleep problems can kids have?
Behavioral Insomnia of Childhood, insomnia, parasomnias, obstrusive sleep apnea, narcolepsy
- Why is sleep important?
Cognitive developtment, mood regulation, attention, behavior, health
- How would you use PMT with sleep problems?
Time limited parent training is among the most common for of intervention for children with
sleep problems
- Know and understand different sleep interventions and how you might implement each,
including:
Extinction- Withholding/discontinuing reinforcement for a previously reinforced
behavior
graduated extinction- similar to extinction, but the amount of attention is faded out
gradually rather than all at once
bedtime pass- child given a pass prior to going to bed (1x) only
Unlock document

Document Summary

Could be negative, person may go back to old ways. Know trans-theoretical model of behavior changes (5 stages) Contemplation-start wondering how its affecting you, money, health. Preparation- want to change, havent done anything yet. Action- actually making change or acting upon something. Maintenence stage- ive made these stages ive maintained them, i am incorporating this as someone who i am (i am someone who doesnt smoke, i dont drink ) Relapse- can happen but apart of maintenence phase. Discussion regarding ineffective physician video vs. effective physician videos (links in slides if you missed this class) Mi is a collaborative, person centered from of guiding elicit and strengthen motivation for change. Know & understand four important things in mi: collaboration, acceptance, compassion, evocation. Know & understand four processes: engagement, focusing, evoking, planning. Eye contact, responding to the patient, nodding when appropriate. Engaging-starting to talk and start walking or talking.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers