PSY 446 Lecture 8: Pediatric Psych 3

38 views2 pages
Motivational Learning
Precontemplation- dont see as a problem
Contemplation-start wondering how its affecting you, money, health
Preparation- want to change, havent done anything yet
Action- actually making change or acting upon something
Maintenence Stage- ive made these stages ive maintained them, i am incorporating this as
someone who i am (i am someone who doesnt smoke, i dont drink… )
Relapse- can happen but apart of maintenence phase.
Could be negative, person may go back to old ways
Motivational Interviewing is NOT a way of tricking other people into changing; it is a way of
activating their own motivation and resources for change.
What is MI?
Most recent definition of MI (2009) is
-A collaborative, person-centered form of guiding to elicit and strengthen motivation for
change
- client is expert, they are the ones that has experienced their life
Effectiveness of MI:
MI has been an effective treatment for many problem behaviors in clinical settings
-Alc USE
-Drug and tobacco use
-Risky Behavior
-Medication and treatment adherence
The spirit of MI
Collaboration instead of confrontation- meeting at the same place and working from there
Autonomy and acceptance instead of authority- accepting client makes decision on their lives
not psychologist
Evocation instead of education- evoke motivation for change (what is important to you, what do
you want to change) draw things out from the client versus telling them what to do
The Path to MI- “taking a walk together”
Engaging-starting to talk and start walking or talking
Foccusing- where are we going to walk, what are things we need to change, oh its smoking, lets
talk about that
Evoking- illicit reasons for change
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Could be negative, person may go back to old ways. Client is expert, they are the ones that has experienced their life. A collaborative, person-centered form of guiding to elicit and strengthen motivation for. Contemplation-start wondering how its affecting you, money, health. Preparation- want to change, havent done anything yet. Action- actually making change or acting upon something. Maintenence stage- ive made these stages ive maintained them, i am incorporating this as someone who i am (i am someone who doesnt smoke, i dont drink ) Relapse- can happen but apart of maintenence phase. Motivational interviewing is not a way of tricking other people into changing; it is a way of activating their own motivation and resources for change. Most recent definition of mi (2009) is change. Mi has been an effective treatment for many problem behaviors in clinical settings. Collaboration instead of confrontation- meeting at the same place and working from there.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers