Fall 2016

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 102
Professor
Adamo
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
The Top 10 Facts About the Wage Gap
Women Are Still Earning Less than Men Across the Board
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2012/04/wage_gap_facts.html/print.html
SOURCE: AP/David Zalubowski
Valeri Kershaw, a seventh- and eighth-grade literacy teacher at Bruce Randolph Middle School in
northeast Denver, works with 12-year-old Jessica Rodriguez during class, Thursday, October 27, 2005.
Statistics show that women are more likely to work in low-age, pik-olla jos like teahig.
By Sarah Jane Glynn, Audrey Powers | April 16, 2012
Equal Pay Day is tomorrow, April 17. This date symbolizes how far into 2012 the average woman must
work to earn what the average man earned in 2011. While the wage gap has certainly narrowed with
the past generation of working women—i  oe ol eaed aout  ets to a a’s dolla—
progress has stalled in recent years. If progress continues at its current rate, it will take 45 years to
eradicate the wage gap.
Given the unfortunate fact that the gender wage gap appears to be here for a while, here are the top 10
facts you need to know about unequal pay:
1. In 2010 women who worked full time, year round, still only earned 77 percent of what men
earned. The median earnings for women were $36,931 compared to $47,715 for men, and
neither real median earnings nor the female-to-male earnings ratio have increased since 2009.
2. The gender wage gap does not only affect individuals—etie failies ae ipated  oe’s
earnings. In 2010, in nearly two-thirds of families (63.9 percent), a mother was either the
breadwinnereither a single working mother or bringing home as much or more than her
husbandor a co-breadwinner—igig hoe at least a uate of the fail’s eaigs.
Whe oe’s ages ae loeed due to gede disiiatio, thei failies’ ioes ae
often significantly lowered as well.
3. Women earn less than men within all racial and ethnic groups. In 2010, the latest year for which
data are available, white women earned 78.1 percent compared to white men, African American
women earned 89.8 percent compared to black men, Hispanic women earned 91.3 percent
compared to Hispanic men, and Asian women earned 79.7 percent compared to Asian men. The
wage gap is lower for black and Hispanic women in part because wages for people of color tend
to be lower overall. This gap occurs within racial/ethnic groups as well. In 2010, according to the
Census Bureau, African Americans earned only 58.7 percent of what whites earned, while
Hispanics earned only 69.1 percent of what whites earned.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
The Top 10 Facts About the Wage Gap Women Are Still Earning Less than Men Across the Board http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2012/04/wage_gap_facts.html/print.html SOURCE: AP/David Zalubowski Valeri Kershaw, a seventh- and eighth-grade literacy teacher at Bruce Randolph Middle School in northeast Denver, works with 12-year-old Jessica Rodriguez during class, Thursday, October 27, 2005. Statistics show that women are more likely to work in low-wage, pink-collar jobs like teaching. By Sarah Jane Glynn, Audrey Powers | April 16, 2012 Equal Pay Day is tomorrow, April 17. This date symbolizes how far into 2012 the average woman must work to earn what the average man earned in 2011. While the wage gap has certainly narrowed with the past generation of working womenin 1967 women only earned about 58 cents to a mans dollar progress has stalled in recent years. If progress continues at its current rate, it will take 45 years to eradicate the wage gap. Given the unfortunate fact that the gender wage gap appears to be here for a while, here are the top 10 facts you need to know about unequal pay: 1. In 2010 women who worked full time, year round, still only earned 77 percent of what men earned. The median earnings for women were $36,931 compared to $47,715 for men, and neither real median earnings nor the female-to-male earnings ratio have increased since 2009. 2. The gender wage gap does not only affect individualsentire families are impacted by womens earnings. In 2010, in nearly two-thirds of families (63.9 percent), a mother was either the breadwinnereither a single working mother or bringing home as much or more than her husbandor a co-breadwinnerbringing home at least a quarter of the familys earnings. When womens wages are lowered due to gender discrimination, their families incomes are often significantly lowered as well. 3. Women earn less than men within all racial and ethnic groups. In 2010, the latest year for which data are available, white women earned 78.1 percent compared to white men, African American women earned 89.8 percent compared to black men, Hispanic women earned 91.3 percent compared to Hispanic men, and Asian women earned 79.7 percent compared to Asian men. The wage gap is lower for black and Hispanic women in part because wages for people of color tend to be lower overall. This gap occurs within racial/ethnic groups as well. In 2010, according to the Census Bureau, African Americans earned only 58.7 percent of what whites earned, while Hispanics earned only 69.1 percent of what whites earned.
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit